How to boot from usb on asus x551 laptop with windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2018
How do I boot from USB on my Asus X551 laptop with windows 10? I am new to this so please excuse my lameness. Thanks.

Solution
Does Win 10 work? If it still works and you want to boot off USB, there is an easy way.
Put USB in to a USB slot
From desktop,
Go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button

This loads advanced startup
Choose use a Device
Pick the USB from the list and win 10 will boot from USB

If win 10 doesn't work, you might need to go into the bios and change a few settings before it will boot off USB

Under Security disable Secure Boot Control

Under Boot disable Fast Boot, then enable Launch CSM, then enable Launch PXE OpROM

Save changes and restart and press the esc key and choose boot from USB.

https://superuser.com/questions/692821/how-to-boot-from-usb-on-asus-x551ca

Lutfij

Titan
I'm assuming you're trying to boot from the USB's installer. According to the manual for your laptop's series, here, you should press F12 key after tapping the power button. You can then get into the Boot Menu options and choose the USB as your first bootable option.

After you save and exit, it should trigger the installation.

If you were asking of how to get into BIOS, then tapping F12, asap, after you power up.

Mar 31, 2018

When I do as you suggest it ignores my command and just goes on to the regular sign in screen and regular start up. Does the USB stick need to be plugged in as I do so? I don't want to wreck it.

Mar 31, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mikeromzick : "Boot from updated windows 10(from 8) on Asus X551"

How do I get to the boot menu on my Asus X551 laptop which has been updated from Windows 8 to 10? The original manual(windows 8) says to tap f12 while powering up. I have tried tapping once, tapping multiple times and holding down f12 while starting from full turn-off. I am trying to get to the boot menu in order to boot from a USB. Maybe there is a different way due to the update to 10? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does Win 10 work? If it still works and you want to boot off USB, there is an easy way.
Put USB in to a USB slot
From desktop,
Go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button

This loads advanced startup
Choose use a Device
Pick the USB from the list and win 10 will boot from USB

If win 10 doesn't work, you might need to go into the bios and change a few settings before it will boot off USB

Under Security disable Secure Boot Control

Under Boot disable Fast Boot, then enable Launch CSM, then enable Launch PXE OpROM

Save changes and restart and press the esc key and choose boot from USB.

https://superuser.com/questions/692821/how-to-boot-from-usb-on-asus-x551ca

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.