How to Boot to Safe Mode from cold start?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since Win 10 and UEFI, it seems one can't get F8 to trigger safe mode anymore. Is there any hidden shortcut to get to safe mode from a cold start.

I'm aware that eventually after several failed boot attempts, Win will finally enter the Recovery Environment and allow entering safe mode that way.
And I know I can enter safe mode after booting to Win by holding the shift key while restarting.

Solution
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to trigger, specifically, safe mode from a cold start anymore. A few weeks ago I had a situation where I needed to do just that but after about an hour of research, I learned that because of the optimizations Microsoft made in how Windows boots up, it is no longer possible to give any bootup commands from a cold start due to how fast Windows is now loaded.

The only methods I'm aware of is to boot from a recovery drive or to intentionally interrupt the boot process 2-4 times to trigger the Recovery Environment.

r315r4z0r

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to trigger, specifically, safe mode from a cold start anymore. A few weeks ago I had a situation where I needed to do just that but after about an hour of research, I learned that because of the optimizations Microsoft made in how Windows boots up, it is no longer possible to give any bootup commands from a cold start due to how fast Windows is now loaded.

The only methods I'm aware of is to boot from a recovery drive or to intentionally interrupt the boot process 2-4 times to trigger the Recovery Environment.

Solution