How To Build A PC: From Component Selection To Installation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I see normal? I see 5mm? I said #2 because that's how they're actually sized. Most desktop and compact desktop screws are #2. Rarely, a few are #1.

"Grounded wrist straps are an over-the-top method of protection rarely used outside of production environments, yet the extra-cautious will attain peace of mind when wearing one."

I use a static-discharging mat that attaches to both my wrist strap and the PC chassis.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Nice guide, but about the memory (RAM) part, there was no mention about Haswell's ability to scale memory, once you enter the higher frequencies.

In many cases, using 1600 is to the detriment of the system and 2400 is about the fastest you'll ever need to go for better performance. 2133, for Haswell is really the sweet spot.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
What's wrong, revanchrist? I didn't fully explain my thought or you're just happy to see me still around?

Haswell's ability to memory scale has been duly noted. And it shouldn't be ignored that, even if you're not using the integrated graphics, you still gain in other areas, performance wise.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-scaling-gaming-haswell-richland,3593-17.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

And if you can prove otherwise, please share.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Maybe because you said the article didn't mention things that the article mentioned :) That is, unless you were specifically looking for the word "Haswell".

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

if you look at the other posts, revanchrist has down voted every post.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Oh, I stand corrected then. I know I read it a couple of times because I saw no mention of Haswell itself....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, the articles were linked and the discussion was had, but the focus was not narrowed to the point of using the word "Haswell".

Status
Not open for further replies.