News How to Build a Raspberry Pi Alarm that Sprays Porch Pirates

gravagehulk

Reputable
Jun 26, 2018
Okay, I have so many concerns here.

What if Fedex drops off a package, then UPS comes to deliver another package the same day? Isn't the UPS driver going to get sprayed? I get multiple deliveries/day from Amazon, UPS, Fedex, etc. This seems like something that would only really work well if you occasionally get one package delivered/day.

I love the idea, but there are just so many things that can go wrong here.

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
Supposedly this only triggers if a package is "missing" that was previously there. Adding a package to the pile should not trigger it, according to Ryder who made the script. Certainly, you'd want to test it if you made it.

Aug 7, 2021
Don't do it! This might not be a good idea. You do not know what the pirates will do to your house. They might take revenge and come back later to do something really bad to your house. Your house is fully exposed, whereas they are in the dark.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Take off the kid gloves. No mere water or sirens.

Expand on the previous article, this time dumping an entire bucket of flour on the thieves.

They'd be screwed. They're leaving footprints, plus they're not getting the stuff off quickly; a flour-covered person fleeing the area WILL get noticed.

Suppose one could go further still, using powdered sugar or starch, plus lawn sprinkers to turn it into a sticky mess which they're not brushing off.

Why limit ourselves here? I'd personally go even further than that and install a flamethrower.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Instead of sprinklers going off, how about low-energy lasers, tasers, and a couple of 12-gauge shotgun blanks going off? You could have a couple of warning yard signs, "Package thieves will be shot on sight. You have been warned!", too. A nice touch would be to use a sprinkler head at the same moment as the thief is being tased! (The deluxe setup would catch the hilarious spasming on camera.)

--From the "Things We'd Like to Do" Dept files...;)

woot

Distinguished
All of this is pointless, thiefs will thieve, alarms or not, the problem lies in the fact that people are willing to receive their packages this way and delivery companies dont care about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS