[SOLVED] How to build a small 4k video server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardware

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Hello all.
I'm no stranger to building high end PCs, full tower case with the best of everything. So I'm okay to build or buy prebuilt.
But the goal here is quite the opposite. I'd like to build a reliable computer that is "just enough for my needs".
We've all seen digital picture frames, and understand the basic software they have. I want to build the computer version of that.

I have a commercial monitor 49inch designed to be on 16/7 reliably. Which will be mounted in portrait, not landscape.
I want to buy/create a computer that has the horsepower to run 4k, on windows 10, with reliability, 16/7. Even if my pictures and video aren't 4k the monitor will scale up.
I'm just not familiar with the lower end processors and chipsets necessary to do this. Ideally It would be a mini PC chassis, or smaller, I could max out the ram, run a 250 gb or more solid state drive. Fanless a plus. Computer will be hard wired into ethernet and to monitor.

While we're at it, I'm open to suggestions for the windows 10 software to control it. Not interested in learning linux ubuntu, etc. Die hard Windows fan and set in my ways.
Would especially love to be able to control by yelling at my computer, either by alexa or cortana (alexa preferred) "Alexa play my fireplace" "Alexa Play my starfield" I need to be able to tell it to play screensavers as well, unless someone has a screensaver to video conversion app.

Budget: 1k maximum, but it should probably cost less than $700 for the hardware alone.

Thanks,

Dan

Solution
Well after much research it turns out I'm reinventing the wheel.
What I needed was an Intel NUC.
Got myself an I5 barebones kit, ordered the appropriate memory and M2, another copy of Win10, and done.
Now its all about software.

Dan
My current HTPC is a 2nd gen i3, 4gb ram with a gtx760 2gb, 4k@60 is no problem but I would like HDR so I am considering a new Ryzen 3 2200g mini-itx build like this:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vVZ9MZ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vVZ9MZ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $359.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 10:32 EDT-0400

So the 2200g is a bit overkill for cpu, but supports 4k HDR while the 200ge does not (or I would have went for the 200ge since it's more than enough cpu, but lacks HDR). Might also work out for your needs as well!

EDIT - ok I missed the fanless bit, but check this out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYD7Qp7jnBo

he put a CR-80EH in there so the case can support large fanless coolers. here is a good list of fanless coolers.

My current i3 HTPC is using a XIGMATEK Thor's Hammer with an Arctic F12 PWM, and it's the only fan in the case - it's nearly silent and the gpu fans never rev up.

Last edited:

hardware

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Well after much research it turns out I'm reinventing the wheel.
What I needed was an Intel NUC.
Got myself an I5 barebones kit, ordered the appropriate memory and M2, another copy of Win10, and done.
Now its all about software.

Dan

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.