How to Build Your Own SSD: Fast, Roomy Storage for Less

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Article
If huge amounts of small files are what you deal with, it’s probably more convenient to put your files in the cloud or on your own locally hosted NAS device, since speed of access for smaller files is less important.

Speed to transfer a few small files may not be important. If you need to go through hundreds of thousands or millions of them. Say in a database. IOPS becomes very important. Which a cloud service certainly won't compete with and a NAS plus network able to handle such performance would be far more expensive.

Mac users with soldered or very hard to replace SSD or HDD. May want these as a boot drive and file storage. Which would make an interesting future article comparing DIY Thunderbolt 3 vs USB 3.1 Gen 2 vs prebuilt Thunderbolt 3 NVMe models. Anyways IOPS and large file transfer would be important for these users.

Mac users would also likely disproportionately represent external SSD buyers as replacing the internal storage ranges from prohibitively difficult to impossible. Plus their computers have come with USB-C/Thunderbolt ports as a standard for a long time. While anything above USB 3.1 Gen 1 is just starting to catch on in the rest of the PC world and often limited to premium notebooks or desktops.

These drives may also be used for a portable OS and file storage. Drop Ubuntu in it and you can boot to your desktop on a wide variety of computers.

g-unit1111

Titan
I've been doing this for a long time! My old rig I took the Corsair XT drive that I was using and put that into an enclosure and I've been using that as a backup drive. I'd love to do an M2 drive with an enclosure at some point.

mendoza.ale

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Got it but, it worth mention that we are comparing a QLC to a TLC right? I'd consider the TLC if was around $240, personal opinion.

Also, the $15 NVME to USB 3.1 that you posted is significant cheaper compared to the one from the blog

joevt1

Reputable
Apr 19, 2016
I wonder if there is a difference between enclosures that use the JMicron JMS583 and the ASMedia ASM2362? For both, max sequential read and write will be bottlenecked by the USB 3.1 gen 2 controller. There could be performance variations in other types of operations though.

picrthis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012

The $180 2TB NVME drive you linked to can't work with the enclosure you linked to, the enclosure you linked to is a B&M Key Interface NGFF (M280F) that is why it's only $16. Are sure you didn't mean to link to the M280T which has the M Key Interface NVMe and is $31

Status
Not open for further replies.