Question How To Buy CPU Fan Replacement?

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Hi, two problems actually. First, my CPU fan is making whirring noises and I think I need to replace it. Second, in removing it, I inadvertently removed the heat sink as well. I was able to reattach it it, but I seem to remember something about needing to apply some kind of paste first. I'm on a different machine now, so as not to cause further damage.

Anyway, this is an older Gateway desktop GT5656, with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU. The CPU fan is 12V and .54 amp. I have never replaced one before, so I'm not surer how to go about finding one that will fit. Should I look for the exact model, or can I get an OEM part, and how do I make sure it will fit?

And I guess I need to buy some paste as well. I'm sure I can find a tutorial on applying it and reattaching the heat sink, but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

michael diemer

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2013
Hold the phone folks (and thank you Richie and Logaon for responses). I discovered that the culprit is my video card's fan. So the cooler fan is fine. however, I guess I will have to get some paste for the heat sink. Can I pick that up locally, say at Best Buy, or do I need to order online?

Have to go back to onboard graphics for now, which for this baby are 10.5 years old. Fortunately this machine is only used for casual stuff, email and browsing.

Also, is it safe to use the computer at this point, without the paste having been replaced?

Thanks again, Mike

Edit: Actually, it looks like I can get one by Corsair at Best Buy store, so I plan to pick up tomorrow, and will be able to effect repair soon, so disregard previous questions.

Last edited: