How to by pass chkdsk XP when start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan1973

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
After setting a chkdsk in XP, my PC rebooted and chkdsk commence. However the chkdsk stopped working and I need to reboot the PC. The process continues to loop and not able to by pass chkdsk to boot. For some reason, my keyboard was not working to cancel the chkdsk. Are there any ways I can by the chkdsk?

Solution

^ :pfff:

When a drive is failing to pass a chkdsk, it almost always means there's some physical errors that it's trying to resolve, but can't (since that's what a chkdsk checks for, not software). This is why you should run chkdsk /r instead.

The most obvious reason for your keyboard not to be working, is that it's a USB, and it's not enabled, or it's wireless and not initiated at that point in the boot process. The easiest option, would be to connect a PS2 keyboard, and try that.

Once you get to the desktop, go to start-->run-->type chkdsk /r and press enter-->then restart the PC-->it will then run the chkdsk and try to repair the errors it's found.

^ :pfff:

When a drive is failing to pass a chkdsk, it almost always means there's some physical errors that it's trying to resolve, but can't (since that's what a chkdsk checks for, not software). This is why you should run chkdsk /r instead.

The most obvious reason for your keyboard not to be working, is that it's a USB, and it's not enabled, or it's wireless and not initiated at that point in the boot process. The easiest option, would be to connect a PS2 keyboard, and try that.

Once you get to the desktop, go to start-->run-->type chkdsk /r and press enter-->then restart the PC-->it will then run the chkdsk and try to repair the errors it's found.

Solution

ivan1973

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
currently what i did was to boot from another drive and rename the current drive's autochkdsk to prevent it from loading. What if chkdsk / r is loaded and hangs again? i am concern about not able to boot again.

kman1981

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
I ran chkdsk /r in recovery console and chkdsk /p. I have no errors but I still can't get windows to load. Ive tried safe mode and using the XP CD. Not sure what else to do. I don't even care if I have to wipe everything out and start off fresh but I dont know how to without getting into windows.

ivan1973

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
yes, original post indcated couldn't pass the chkdsk during bootup. But after i rename the autochkdsk to autochkdskxx, the booting continues as xp could not load the autochkdsk, which hangs. Does the /r switch also uses the autochkdsk? should i rename back the autochkdsk?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
renaming won't solve the problem - maybe it is a physical error (your HDD is failing) - If that HDD pause or stop when chkdsk is running I guess it is good to slave that HDD from another computer and copy all important files to a good drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.