Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2019
OK, so I've port-forwarded my router, but when I check to see if my port is open or not, it says my port is closed and the reason why is because "connection timed out". I've tried making new rules in Windows Defender for inbound and outbound rules, and allowing certain programs full control over my PC. I tried tweaking my router's settings so that Internet speed is faster because I initially thought the reason why the connection timed out is because my Internet is slow, but to no evail.

So I'm assuming the ISP is blocking the ports? (Ports 2000 - 4000). If so, does anyone know how to bypass it without contacting them? Perhaps I could use a VPN but I am not sure how to do that.

Oh, and my router is a TP-Link Archer C7 Version 4.0 if that helps!

Solution
Call your ISP and see if they offer a public IP. Sometime they is packaged in with a static ip. You do not actually care if the IP changes but your IP must be public.

Some ISP do not offer this at all. Other charge for it. There has been the rare case where I have seen someone post the ISP gave it to him for free when he asked.
It is highly unlikely they block some random range of port numbers. If they block they block things to protect stupid people from themselves. They will block some of the common microsoft ports for idiots who set open sharing on a directly connected pc.

It is pretty easy to make mistakes since no router does port forwarding the same. I would try the DMZ option since that tends to be almost impossible to setup wrong.

The most common reason though port forwarding does not work is because you do not have a public IP.

Check that the ip in you see in the wan port setting in your router is the same IP you see on the whatsmyip type of screen. If these are different the ISP has a router in the path doing NAT. You can not put portward rules on that router so you have no ability to take incoming sessions.

Call your ISP and see if they offer a public IP. Sometime they is packaged in with a static ip. You do not actually care if the IP changes but your IP must be public.

Some ISP do not offer this at all. Other charge for it. There has been the rare case where I have seen someone post the ISP gave it to him for free when he asked.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.