How to bypass Win XP login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2019
I was trying to access my old PC which is running Win XP home but am prompted for a password at the login screen. I never had a password set to begin with as I was always the only user.
Searching the Internet I found numerous threads explaining how to disable this option but they will only work once I get in! I used XUbuntu and ran the chntpw option but found out the user and Admin accounts are both unlocked and the password is blank. Rebooting back into Windows brought up the login screen still prompting me for the password. I left the password field blank but the system just responds with the "did you forget your password" box. I tried the Cntl-Alt-Del option to get in as the Administrator but it just pops up the same message whether the password field is blank or filled in.
I thought perhaps it could be a virus and ran Kaspersky from a bootable USB to check the system. Well, the system is now clean but still I'm being prompted for a password at login. Is there any way to just bypass this option all together and access the PC so I can change the settings in the control panel?
Unfortunately I do not have a Win XP install disk to try a repair as the system came with XP already installed when I got it. It is a Dell (Oblivion I think) PC with a 32-bit processor. I'm not sure of the other specs on it but if needed I can get them for you. Please let me know if you have any ideas that could get me in. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.