[SOLVED] How to calculate how long a render will take between 2 cpu

Feb 19, 2021
My current render time on cinebench r15 score of 980 is 1:20mins for the maya image I’m rendering. I’m looking at upgrading to an AMD 5950x which has a cinebench of 4563. But I want to know if there is a way to calculate how long that will take on the new cpu to render?

Any advice please

Solution
My current render time on cinebench r15 score of 980 is 1:20mins for the maya image I’m rendering. I’m looking at upgrading to an AMD 5950x which has a cinebench of 4563. But I want to know if there is a way to calculate how long that will take on the new cpu to render?

Any advice please

Too many uncontrolled variables: Maya uses a different renderer from Cinebench, R15 scales poorly to heavily threaded processors (use R23 instead) and the image itself will be different anyway. It would be impossible to compare accurately with just that data.

You can get a general idea by looking at CPU reviews of the 5950X. They'll show you just how fast it is in actual rendering tasks compared to other CPU's in more relevant...

Any advice please

Too many uncontrolled variables: Maya uses a different renderer from Cinebench, R15 scales poorly to heavily threaded processors (use R23 instead) and the image itself will be different anyway. It would be impossible to compare accurately with just that data.

You can get a general idea by looking at CPU reviews of the 5950X. They'll show you just how fast it is in actual rendering tasks compared to other CPU's in more relevant software. Then compare your CPU's performance to one of them in whatever similar software you can get.

In the end it's irrelevant as nothing's going to be faster short of a Threadripper HEDT. And you can spend a lot more for a lot slower with the competition.

And then Maya may be an outlier. It's made by Autodesk who is famous for leaving default optimizations in that favor Intel CPU's, while gimping AMD's, when they compile their software. How much I can't say and Zen 3 might have mitigated that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Any advice please
Disregarding a bunch of variables that are not going to be the same because more than likely there are significant software and architectural differences between the two platforms and how they work with the software, the simplest thing is to just use the two benchmarks you have. The new system is 4.65612244898 faster than the old. So instead of 80 minutes, it would take 17.18167872014 minutes.

For render operations like this, the number of cores and single thread performance are what will matter depending on which is more important for the renderer:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+9+5950X&id=3862

Luckily, this cpu is strong in both areas with one of the fastest single thread speeds I've seen, and cores and threads almost like a server. :)

TRENDING THREADS