[SOLVED] How to change bios from amercian megatrends to gigabytes own bios

Solution
Your Motherboard uses an AMI UEFI BIOS (modified by Gigabyte).
BIOS
  1. 1 x 128 Mbit flash
  2. Use of licensed AMI UEFI BIOS
  3. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.7, WfM 2.0, SM BIOS 2.7, ACPI 5.0
from here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Q170M-D3H-rev-10/sp#sp

So you need to Download the BIOS version you want to upgrade to from the Gigabyte Support Page for your Motherboard and flash it using the method recommended by Gigabyte.
If your BIOS does NOT have Q-Flash built in, then you will need to use a Bootable FAT32 formatted USB with DOS on it (Use Rufus or a similar app to do that).
Copy the BIOS file and DOS flash utility provided by Gigabyte (Efiflash.exe) onto the USB.
Then boot from the USB and flash the BIOS.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
BIOS
  1. 1 x 128 Mbit flash
from here:

So you need to Download the BIOS version you want to upgrade to from the Gigabyte Support Page for your Motherboard and flash it using the method recommended by Gigabyte.
If your BIOS does NOT have Q-Flash built in, then you will need to use a Bootable FAT32 formatted USB with DOS on it (Use Rufus or a similar app to do that).
Copy the BIOS file and DOS flash utility provided by Gigabyte (Efiflash.exe) onto the USB.

Last edited:
Solution

gtxao.psn

Commendable
Apr 9, 2018
BIOS
  1. 1 x 128 Mbit flash
from here:

With the actual software should i use the "FreeDOS" option on the dropdown tab including fat32 on the usb? or should i just format it to be fat 32 and put the Efiflash.exe onto the actual usb.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Use the Q-Flash option built-into the motherboard. You put the BIOS file on a USB drive and press the "END" key to get to the Q-Flash utility.
I looked at his manual and Specs for his MB and it didn't show Q-Flash.
So his MB might not have Q-Flash built into the BIOS like a lot of other Gigabyte boards do.
But you are 100% correct, if he has Q-Flash available in his BIOS that is the best way to update the BIOS.

kanewolf

Titan
I looked at his manual and Specs for his MB and it didn't show Q-Flash.
So his MB might not have Q-Flash built into the BIOS like a lot of other Gigabyte boards do.
But you are 100% correct, if he has Q-Flash available in his BIOS that is the best way to update the BIOS.
I followed the link provided in the original post. Selected "Manual" and searched for "flash" The manual mentions Q-flash right below the PROM specs you quoted above. It then talks about it on page 19. So I assumed it had Q-Flash.

Reactions: DMAN999