How to change Drive letter "F" to "C" without changing the SATA ports

amarpreet

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hi

I bought a laptop with two hard drives. One of them is SSD and other is normal. The OS is installed on normal hard drive (drive letter C). I want to install the windows on on SSD (drive letter "F").

How do I exchange the drive letters of both drives without changing the SATA ports. I do not want to open the laptop coz the warranty will be void.

Thanks Heaps.

amarpreet

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

Then in that case the windows default drive letter would be "F:".
Does that make any drawbacks to get set your root directory not "C:"?

What drive port the drives are plugged into with the SATA interface has nothing to do with what drive letter they are assigned. This is OS controlled. If you do a new install on the SSD, it will be the "c" drive by default. All you need to do is place the drive into the boot order in the BIOS, and take your current drive out of the boot order. Only have the SSD hooked up when you do the new install. Do NOT leave the other drive with Windows installed hooked up. After the install is done, then you can plug it back in, and the OS will assign it a new drive letter like "d" or "f" or what ever.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Agree with srobin, that is the easiest way to go. You need to use a cloning software that allows you to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive if the SSD is smaller capacity than the HDD. I think it is odd however, that the laptop has an SSD in it but that is not being used as the Windows drive. You may also have to go into the BIOS after you clone to change the first boot device to the SSD.