Question How to change drive letter without any programs starting (such as startup programs)

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
I didn't really know how to word the title so please forgive me if it doesn't fit my description well.

I want to disconnect my drives from my computer temporarily and worry that when I reconnect them they will have the wrong drive letters and if a program tries to look on an empty drive for essential program files it might break itself, and since some startup programs aren't shown in task manager or the startup folder I can't just stop them from opening with windows while I assign the drives their correct letters.

Is there a way to get around this? Does windows safe startup stop programs from opening with windows?

Thanks in advance :)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I have never had programs break themselves like that. they will look and fail to find the program and prompt you with an error saying as much. when you reconnect the drives and reboot the system and try to launch the programs again the shortcut will lead to the program and it will run.
in any case disk manager will let you correct any improper drive assignments

Feb 12, 2019
Are you trying to disable drive letters from being assigned to drives when you plug them in? if so, their is a diskpart command to do that via cmd. Then you can use disk management to assign a letter.

canubetrusted

Prominent
Sep 20, 2018
I have never had programs break themselves like that. they will look and fail to find the program and prompt you with an error saying as much. when you reconnect the drives and reboot the system and try to launch the programs again the shortcut will lead to the program and it will run.
in any case disk manager will let you correct any improper drive assignments
The problem I mention is hypothetical. If they output an error that is completely fine. This is all hypothetical and I just don't want to run into any problems when I to uninstall and reinstall the drives. I am more worried a program won't find what it's looking for and change the directory I set or download something to a random drive that has adopted the wrong letter.