How to change from 64bit to 32bit in windows7

IKE1952

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
i,m trying to insall an older game Ear cry it states i need to change to 32bit from 64bit whats the process and does this foul up my comp.

A change from 64 to 32-bit (or vice-versa) requires a clean install... there is no way to convert from one to the other.

That being said, have you tried running in compatibility mode? Right-click on the Far Cry executable file, select Properties, then go to the tab that has compatibility options. Select Windows XP SP2 and see if you can launch your game.

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for the 32-bit version of Windows don't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

Also, check out this site for some more great information:
Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

TRENDING THREADS