How to change from intel display to nvidia display ? (laptop device)

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Hi, I'm currently working around a laptop which has a messed up setting for switching the laptops displays. I ran dxdiag, which gave me some answers to finding my problem, I'm gonna upload 2 pics and I'd like to ask if anyone know's how can I fix this.

3a44c0d5_88ec_4a38_9c01_ff47918cd4c7.jpg

518c6d89_4940_4127_bcdb_b86bea90e8a1.jpg

Solution
Laptop manufacturers often tweak the official drivers from the graphic card manufacturers in order to keep components from exceeding thermal and/or power limits. This is why you should ONLY download drivers from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf sends
This is normal. To save power the laptop should automatically select the integrated display for minimal tasks. When you do something that is heavy loaded, it should change to Nvida's other GPU which will use more power but drains battery faster. Hence the reason for two modes.

Sometimes the application doesn't kick off a high performance mode so the GPU never switches. In this case, you may need to go into Nvidia control panel and manually select the application to run in High Performance mode.

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

I have tried that, I checked through Nvidia control panel and it does not change it's setting at all... I also checked playing gaming, it does not change as well, even tho it shows through afterburner that it's working and what not but nothing proves it, I know my brother had a problem like this, and somehow he managed to change from cpu to gpu, so I'm thinking how to do it

Wolfshadw

Titan
Do NOT uninstall drivers from your laptop. Just try and reinstall the latest drivers from your laptop manufacturer (not NVidia or Intel).

Every time you switch out of a game to see what graphics card you're using and even with the game still running in the background (key word being, "background"), your laptop will automatically switch to your on-board Intel graphics. It's designed this way to save power.

-Wolf sends

Using DDU is a very standard practice to remove old driver installation. There is nothing wrong with doing so and using current driver sets only.

It's been recommend around this site even many times.

And you basically repeated exactly what I stated already.

The OP is stating that is is NOT switching to the other GPU properly. Hence using DDU and installing only up to date drivers recommendation.

Rokas2260

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014

I have Nvidia drivers reinstalled yesterday manually while through GeForce Experience it didn't let me for some unknown reason, but other than that, I saw that whole PC was Installed just few months back, so I don't exactly have the Intel drivers as original disk

Wolfshadw

Titan
Laptop manufacturers often tweak the official drivers from the graphic card manufacturers in order to keep components from exceeding thermal and/or power limits. This is why you should ONLY download drivers from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf sends

Solution
They also simply reband components such as Intel and AMD cards and install them in their system. Often laptop manufacture sites are behind in driver and using them directly from the actual manufactures site works just fine and you get up to date drivers.

Either method will work just fine. OP can do either or and it will function properly.