Question How to change from Win-10 To Win-11 on a new workstation ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,

I am getting a new Dell workstation.

In OS choice I have to select one of two options.

(1) Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (6 cores, Includes Windows 11 Pro License) English

(2) Windows -11

I have never used any of them. So I am inclined to choose Win-10 to see what it is like.

My question is what does option 1 mean ? Do I get a key for Win-11 ?

I know I will get Win-10 in a single 512GB NVMe Partition.

(1) If I want to then Limit Win-10 partition to 220 GB, how would I do that so that I can have two more partitions for data in that NVME 512GB SSD with Win-10 ?

(2) If I want to try or switch to Win-11, how would I do that ?

(3) I am also getting 2nd M.2 NVME 512GB SSD. Can I install Win-11 in that SSD & then remove Win-10 SSD & place Win-11 SSD & boot & try Win-11 that way ? If so how ?

(4) Can I dual boot Win-10 & Win-11 ? If so how & how much space will be needed for both OS ?

I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank You

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a choice, you get one or Other. I assume if you chose Win 11 you probably don't get win 10 Pro for workstations. I wonder if win 11 is the Pro version for workstations. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/business/windows-11-pro-workstations

You only get one licence, so have to pick which to use.

2 if you want to try win 11, its a free upgrade from win 10. It might even be offered, but the workstation versions are on a different stream to Home & Pro so I am not sure if it is offered that way. The upgrade would replace WIn 10 Pro for Workstations though.

3 yes but one won't have a licence, so one would be unactivated. And If you do that, I would pick Win 10 Pro for workstations for the licence, and install win 11 inactivated on the 2nd nvme. I don't know how long you could run workstations version without a licence.

4. maybe
I would use 2 drives for this still.
you might run into problems installing 10 over top of 11's boot manager, It might delete it.'
But if you got Win 10 Pro as the C drive, then it is probably easier as at least win 11 knows what 10 is.

Win 10 Pro for workstations might be a better starting point.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
3 yes but one won't have a licence, so one would be unactivated. And If you do that, I would pick Win 10 Pro for workstations for the licence, and install win 11 inactivated on the 2nd nvme. I don't know how long you could run workstations version without a licence

Where & how can I get Windows-11 for Workstation ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

I am getting a new Dell workstation.

In OS choice I have to select one of two options.

(1) Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (6 cores, Includes Windows 11 Pro License) English

(2) Windows -11

I have never used any of them. So I am inclined to choose Win-10 to see what it is like.

I know I will get Win-10 in a single 512GB NVMe Partition.

(1) If I want to then Limit Win-10 partition to 220 GB, how would I do that so that I can have two more partitions for data in that NVME 512GB SSD with Win-10 ?

(2) If I want to try or switch to Win-11, how would I do that ?

(3) I am also getting 2nd M.2 NVME 512GB SSD. Can I install Win-11 in that SSD & then remove Win-10 SSD & place Win-11 SSD & boot & try Win-11 that way ? If so how ?

(4) Can I dual boot Win-10 & Win-11 ? If so how & how much space will be needed for both OS ?

I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank You
Option 1 simply means that the WIn 10 can be Upgraded to Win 11 for free.
You don't get both.