Question How to change HDD letter back

Oct 16, 2022
Hi there. I took out the main Hard drive (C: from my older PC and connected it to my new PC. It did not open but was seen in DISK MANAGEMENT.

I then realised that it would not open because it had previously been assigned the letter C:. So there was a conflict between the old C: hard drive and my new C: hard drive.

So I changed the letter of the old Hard drive and it instantly opened and I could see what was on the hard drive. I made my alterations and edits etc and then put back the old hard drive into the old computer.

However, the drive would load up in the old PC, then turn off and repeat. I realised that the old hard drive letter needed to be set back as C:. But I cant do that now because if I use my new PC to alter the old hard drive's letter, it will not allow me to set it to it's original C: letter because of conflicts.

Is there a way of getting round this without any conflicts of the two hard drives? Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
No, it doesn't work like that.

The drive the system boots from will be the "C drive".
Anything else, no matter what it on it, will be a different drive letter.

It failed to boot, because it was trying to boot from the old drive in the different PC.
That usually fails.

It is NOT due to drive letters.

Reactions: CountMike
Oct 16, 2022
Thank you for your answer. However, I did explain that I put the old hard drive back in the old Pc and it would not boot up. I did not try to use it as the main drive in my new PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for your answer. However, I did explain that I put the old hard drive back in the old Pc and it would not boot up. I did not try to use it as the main drive in my new PC.
You did not....the system apparently did.
Boot order.

And as sometimes happens...it tries to boot from an alien drive+OS, and fails.
But, it makes enough changes to that OS that it also fails to boot when put back in its original system.

Yes, this is a thing.

If you put a disk with OS/windows on another system it will try to adapt itself to it and even if it succeeds or fails it can still fail when returned to original system.
That's one of reasons you should not do that before backing up everything worthwhile on original system ad do a clean install on new one.