[SOLVED] How to change Raid 1 setup to non raid? Windows won't boot up on Raid 1 config no more. Trying to get windows 10 booting fine again

itzthrillz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Hello. Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I currently purchased a PC from ORIGIN. Everything was working fine until 10 days ago. My computer no longer booted to windows.. It just showed the loading circle at boot and then restarts pc.

I have a raid 1 setup with the raid controller. My OS is on NVME Samsung 980 Pro. So basically 2 NVME since its raid.

After speaking to ORIGINPC techs.. They thought it could be one of my NVME went bad since it was only showing one NVME drive in the BIOS. See screenshot below

So they sent me a new NVME to see if it would detect the new NVME in bios and it still didn't detect. They concluded it must be a motherboard issue and I must sent me computer to them to replace the motherboard. Replacing motherboard means they will have to reset the raid controller which means I can't restore my original OS with all my programs, settings, files installed, I would have to manually do everything all over> ORIGINPC said quote

"if you would like to remove RAID, that would be perfectly fine, RAID
is controlled and set up through the motherboard BIOS, simply we would
use one NVMe drive as the OS drive, and the other drive would be a
simple storage drive like the rest. Drives aren't made for RAID
specifically.

However, restoring Windows from a RAID environment to a non-RAID
environment is not something we can do. "restoring Windows from a
RAID environment to a non-RAID environment is not something we can do.

Sorry for the long story but basically I would like to see if it's possible to turn off RAID 1. no longer want to deal with raid after this, and to use one of my 2 NVME's that have my OS since its a mirror to load windows back up.

I took backups already in case anything goes wrong and I remember doing system restore image file/restore point about 20 days ago.

Only issue is the only NVME that looks like the ASUS Bios is detecting is hidden behind my graphic cards which means to get to that slot.. I would have to take down my entire water cooling system, etc which I don't want to do.. scared to mess or leak anything.

Here's 3 more screenshots so you can see my setup and BIOS

x1hVN.jpg

[2]:
SoOlV.jpg
-

[3]:
RpJTS.jpg
<-- Bios showing only 1 NVME

Solution
I think they are correct. You'll have to remove raid and then use the single drive as boot drive, and don't set raid back up.

Raid is a good thing in servers, but for desktops, raid especially on a motherboard isn't advised. Your motherboard could be having issues. But raid shouldn't be set up through a motherboard imo. Even software raid might be preferable.

If you have a backup, easiest thing is to kill your raid, and reinstall.
I think they are correct. You'll have to remove raid and then use the single drive as boot drive, and don't set raid back up.

Raid is a good thing in servers, but for desktops, raid especially on a motherboard isn't advised. Your motherboard could be having issues. But raid shouldn't be set up through a motherboard imo. Even software raid might be preferable.

If you have a backup, easiest thing is to kill your raid, and reinstall.

Solution