Question how to change refresh rate on laptop

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
hi, i recently bought a strix g15 laptop with a 240hz inbuilt display. i used the nvidia geforce experience to auto detect and install the right drivers. but in control panel i dont have the display settings so i cant change the refresh rate or create a custom one so i can lower the refresh rate to 144hz. i have always used a 144hz monitor and is what im used to but now that ive switched to a laptop i cant seem to lower the refresh rate to 144hz. id like a little more battery life without having to sacrifice too much.
thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Control Panel within the OS? Or are you referring to the Control panel for Nvidia's Display settings window? Did you follow through this post made by Microsoft? You should've downloaded the latest drivers manually, then installed said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for the rest of the drivers, they can be found off of Asus's support page for the laptop. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the laptop as well.

Can you parse the SKU to your Strix G15 laptop? I'm seeing this;
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-series/spec
none of them have anything above 144~165Hz.

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
im talking about the nvidia control panel. the reason i installed drivers through geforce experience was because i didnt know which ones to get. regular rtx or notebook??
my laptop is the asus strix g15 g512lv-az052t

tibsy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
ive tried changing the refresh rate through windows. it only shows 60 and 240hz, i wish to stay at 144hz to preserve a little battery life. as well as so that i can lock the frame rate in games to 144 as 240 is pretty much impossible for a laptop of this spec