Question How to change Samsung 980 Evo Pro from MBR to GPT ?

Mar 30, 2023
I posted this on reddit asking for help 3 days ago.

I got a samsung 980 evo pro and i have a asus Prime B350-Plus motherboard. I'm aware that the m.2 works best with pcie slot gen 4 but i know it works fine with gen 3 mobo. I used the samsung data migration program to clone my data from my old sandisk 120gb ssd to the samsung 980 evo pro. but i made a mistake when checking disk partitions. I set the 980 to MBR but i have seen that it is best to set it to GPT. I've also made the mistake of rebooting with both drives in but i was able to set the 980 as the first boot priority. I've rebooted with only 980 to see if it cloned properly and it works just fine.

So now I'm trying to change the 980 from MBR to GPT but now that requires me to delete the partitions with Windows on it. Mind you, i still have the Sandisk with windows on it. I cant delete the os from 980 nor from the sandisk. And i dont know how to do so. I will have to learn how to anyway because I do plan to keep using the old drive but not as my boot drive.
I tried deleting the windows cloned partition using command prompt and using the DISKPART command lines. but no that does not work since its a bootable drive. Using Samsung Magician's Secure Erase feature made no changes either. At this point i want to factory reset the 980 but it still has everything saved on it. I'm at a complete loss what to do now.

UPDATE: I have found that in command there is a mbr2gpt command and when i tried to validate using: mbr2gpt /validate /disk:3 /allowFullOS i got a result saying validation failed. I have found that by shrinking my main partition on disk 3 by 100mb, that allowed me to validate and convert my new SSD from mbr to gpt. on reboot i set my bios to UEFI Only on all boot settings. And that finally worked.
after playing some time on morrowind, it wasnt installed on another HDD, no issues whatsoever. I installed Fortnite onto the new boot drive to test and maybe 30-40 minutes in, the screens went black, there was flickering on the screens, audio was still playing, i got some lines on the screen thinking that the gpu just got fried, and i only got one picture on one monitor with the prompt saying something about not enough memory on graphics video. I never had this issue before.

I restarted my computer, played deep rock galactic which was not installed on the new drive. after an hour or so, the same thing happened, only this time, no lines, i got both screens back and it took out discord with the crash with the same prompt. And the computer continued as normal only having to restart discord and close deep rock.

It's been a hellish few days and I really don't know what to do now. Only thing I can think of is clear my new drive, clone old drive ( i have not yet cleared it) into the new drive once again, and leave it as mbr. I don't even know if the new drive will still work without issue.

Ryzen 5 1600
Asus Prime B-350 (boot options set to UEFI Only)
MSI Rx 470 armor 4gb OC
Corsair 16 gb 2600 ram
Sandisk 120 gb (old boot drive, still has windows in it but not currently booted into, set as mbr)
Samsung 980 Evo Pro (cloned from sandisk, converted mbr2gpt using command prompt, shrunk part of the partition to able to convert)
2 other hdds that are set as mbr

Update: after updating drivers on gpu, game ctd and then i got a restart blue screen saying Stop Code: KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION. I got if after playing and hour of fortnite again
Update:So after upgrading Bios, it reverted back to UEFI+Legacy, i changed to UEFI. New drive does not show in boot order priorties, it only shows in UEFI+Legacy. However it created a windows boot manager in the 980 under UEFI. I keep going down this rabbit hole of bad juju.

Mar 30, 2023
That is exactly what i did and i worked after i had to shrink a portion of the partition of the new drive and it worked. Now my games crash after an hour of games and just causes other problems with other games its hard to tell what issues it comes with

That is exactly what i did and i worked after i had to shrink a portion of the partition of the new drive and it worked. Now my games crash after an hour of games and just causes other problems with other games its hard to tell what issues it comes with
Game crashing is not likely related to the partitioning scheme. Could it be you had to delete something that turns out to be important in order to be able to shrink the partition?

If you are worried the disk was corrupted by the changes you might run a disk check just to make sure the partition is not damaged. Right click on the disk in "This PC", select PROPERTIES, then Tools, then Error Checking. It will scan the drive while you're using it. If it finds errors it will want to restart into a safe mode to correct them. Do it, without delay, for best possible results should that appear.

Mar 30, 2023
Game crashing is not likely related to the partitioning scheme. Could it be you had to delete something that turns out to be important in order to be able to shrink the partition?

If you are worried the disk was corrupted by the changes you might run a disk check just to make sure the partition is not damaged. Right click on the disk in "This PC", select PROPERTIES, then Tools, then Error Checking. It will scan the drive while you're using it. If it finds errors it will want to restart into a safe mode to correct them. Do it, without delay, for best possible results should that appear.

so afterr booting into Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD) Samsung 980 evo Pro, after error checking i got an error.

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on C:
Volume label is 120 GB.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
1072384 file records processed. File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 9.65 seconds.
32582 large file records processed. Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed. Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 1.90 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
71186 reparse records processed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1490).

Log Name: Application
Source: Chkdsk
Event ID 26226

so afterr booting into Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD) Samsung 980 evo Pro, after error checking i got an error.
An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1490).

Log Name: Application
Source: Chkdsk
Event ID 26226
The Event ID helps you find the error log in Event Viewer. But the unspecified error isn't all that helpful.

I suggest running a Check Disk with the FIX option from a command line:

Open Command prompt using admin rights (Type Command in the search box, right click on it and open with Admin Rights).

In the Command window, type "CHKDSK /F", then enter. It should come back and say it can't lock the current drive and offer to schedule the volume to be checked on the next restart. Enter Y so that it does so.

Now restart the computer and it will run a Check Disk in a safe mode and try to fix all errors. You'll probably have to go to the Event Viewer to see the error log once again once it finishes and restarts back into Windows.

ADDED: Also, are you running Samsung Magician? If not, download the latest and run it's diagnostic scan on the drive. At the same time make certain the drive is running the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023
The Event ID helps you find the error log in Event Viewer. But the unspecified error isn't all that helpful.

Open Command prompt using admin rights (Type Command in the search box, right click on it and open with Admin Rights).

In the Command window, type "CHKDSK /F", then enter. It should come back and say it can't lock the current drive and offer to schedule the volume to be checked on the next restart. Enter Y so that it does so.

Now restart the computer and it will run a Check Disk in a safe mode and try to fix all errors. You'll probably have to go to the Event Viewer to see the error log once again once it finishes and restarts back into Windows.

ADDED: Also, are you running Samsung Magician? If not, download the latest and run it's diagnostic scan on the drive. At the same time make certain the drive is running the latest firmware.
i wish i can test it now because i had to reinitalize and now cloning takes an hour and a half. i also did a clean install on drivers and everyday a new problem shows up. at this point im thinking of just returning it and get a new product. and yes i am using samsung magician, i did a diagnostic test since day one and its been fine.

Mar 30, 2023

I did get get this:

SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for WORKGROUP\DESKTOP-(I removed desktop name)$ via https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps
GetCACaps: Not Found
{"Message":"The authority \"amd-keyid-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net\" does not exist."}
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 23:19:26 GMT
Content-Length: 121
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000;includeSubDomains
x-ms-request-id: 899736c3-7a8d-46e8-a6ca-3040530f6e20

Method: GET(235ms)
Stage: GetCACaps
Not found (404). 0x80190194 (-2145844844 HTTP_E_STATUS_NOT_FOUND)

Source: CertificateServicesClient-CertEnroll
EventID: 86

Mar 30, 2023

You beautiful person! I think the CHKDSK/F command might have fixed my problem. I've been trying games for an hour without issue. I will continue to test for a few days but I think you may have solved it. I appreciate you and everyone who responded. :p

Mar 30, 2023
You beautiful person! I think the CHKDSK/F command might have fixed my problem. I've been trying games for an hour without issue. I will continue to test for a few days but I think you may have solved it. I appreciate you and everyone who responded. :p
nevermind. im so over done with this. last i need to do is do a clean install but i cant clone my old stuff without cloning old windows

nevermind. im so over done with this. last i need to do is do a clean install but i cant clone my old stuff without cloning old windows
You definitely don't want to clone your system drive if it has a corrupted Windows installation. But one last thing to try before a clean install is a Repair Install with in-place upgrade. This leaves all apps, user files and customizations in place, which is both good and bad since should the corruption be in one of those it won't be fixed.

Mar 30, 2023
welp. i reinstalled windows 10 on the new one, added my other harddrives where my gamess are, and control panel uninstall list doess not detect any of the already installed programs. I played games for hours without incident till now. new pop up but really doesnt really help. im at my limit with this thing and idk if reverting back to my old ssd will even work. idk what to do and i feel so defeated.