[SOLVED] how to change ssd image from ahci to ide?

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
hey i just got an old pc that bios has no ahci mode even with latest bios update. I want to install a ssd i have with a windows 7 image, but that ssd is in ahci mode so its not booting. How do i switch the ssd to ide?

Solution
Theres no way to have an ssd with windows 7 run in ide mode? i can also install windows 10 on the ssd if need. I have no idea how to set it up
Step by detailed step...

USAFRet

Titan
Theres no way to have an ssd with windows 7 run in ide mode? i can also install windows 10 on the ssd if need. I have no idea how to set it up
Step by detailed step...

Solution

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Step by detailed step...

thanks so ill install windows 10 on the drive, but still doesnt it defaut to install in ahci mode? how set it up in ide mode so it will boot?

USAFRet

Titan
dual core e5500
That should install Win 10 just fine (given sufficient RAM).

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
That should install Win 10 just fine (given sufficient RAM).

thats great, so ill install windows 10 through a usb drive to the ssd while its in the old computer. Is there a setting or something i need to do so it sets it up in ide mode?
thnks

USAFRet

Titan
thats great, so ill install windows 10 through a usb drive to the ssd while its in the old computer. Is there a setting or something i need to do so it sets it up in ide mode?
Nooooo...

You install Win 10 on the SSD when it is in the system where it will live.
Don't install in System A and then move to System B.

Win 10 is "better" than previous versions, but by no means 100%.

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Nooooo...

You install Win 10 on the SSD when it is in the system where it will live.
Don't install in System A and then move to System B.

Win 10 is "better" than previous versions, but by no means 100%.
yes thats what i said while the ssd is in the old computer i meant old by its an old computer. It will automatically install in ide mode? or is there something i need to do?
thanks

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
It's not bogus. There's two different versions of Windows 10 - 32-bit and 64-bit. The 32-bit version is rarely used anymore which is why most CPUs don't support that version of it.
celeron 900 is penryn which says on the list both 32 and 64bit not supported but he got it to work. theres some other even older cpus on that tread which ppl got to work which is interesting