[SOLVED] How to change Windows 10 search to look for programs on my HDD and not on the internet?

Sep 27, 2019
I've just installed software that doesn't create shortcut in the start menu, so I wanted to look for it by pressing start button on my keyboard and typing the name of the program. But instead windows looking just installed program on my hard drive, gave me the result of a search on "bing". How to change that? So when I press windows key and type the name of the program, windows will show me only installed apps.
Just to illustrate what I mean - I just installed Uplay
screenshot-5.png

When I hit windows key and type "uplay", I just get this
screenshot-6.png

but I've just installed this. So why the hell windows doesn't show me this?

Last edited:
Solution
As I understand it "Uplay" is Ubisoft focused - their website, their games....

Very likely that the Uplay software went in and changed one or more defaults - either existing Windows defaults or maybe even a default that you established.

If I understand correctly you wish to find where a game is installed and then create a shortcut icon to launch the game.

Just use File Explorer to find the .exe and note the path. Use that path for the location of the .exe.

(Actually, creating a new shortcut will offer the option to browse for the location).

My recommendation is to uninstall Uplay. Get all your defaults back to normal (if and as necessary) then revisit creating the desired shortcut.

Create a new shortcut by right-clicking an...

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand it "Uplay" is Ubisoft focused - their website, their games....

Very likely that the Uplay software went in and changed one or more defaults - either existing Windows defaults or maybe even a default that you established.

If I understand correctly you wish to find where a game is installed and then create a shortcut icon to launch the game.

Just use File Explorer to find the .exe and note the path. Use that path for the location of the .exe.

(Actually, creating a new shortcut will offer the option to browse for the location).

My recommendation is to uninstall Uplay. Get all your defaults back to normal (if and as necessary) then revisit creating the desired shortcut.

Create a new shortcut by right-clicking an empty area of the desktop. Then select New > Shortcut

Solution
Sep 27, 2019
Thank you for the answer. I do know how to create a shortcut and generally how to work it around. Was just wondering why windows offering me result from searching the internet and not result of searching my disk drive in a first place.

TRENDING THREADS