News How To Change Your DNS Server in Windows

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
NameBench, DNSJumper.. tools like these can help you find the closest and fastest DNS server to use.

However, I run my own DNS server on my ubuntu-based PiHole using Unbound.

Sure, it's slower on initial cache, but the security value is immense.

Reactions: Kridian

Protopia

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2013
Fastest DNS server for many is Quad9, a Swiss public-benefit foundation which also gives some protection as it has bad sites filtered out: 9.9.9.9

You can also apply a registry change to improve how DNS works when the primary server times out. The theory is that internet speeds are now much much faster on high speed broadband than on old dial up, so timeouts should be reduced to 1sec and fallback servers should be queried in parallel. I will see if I can find the precise registry tweak and post it here.

Protopia

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2013
Yes. With more and more users having internet connections which have ipv6, this article really does need to include the same details for ipv6 as for ipv4.

An even better way is to setup the dns on your router so that anyone connecting to it gets those setting as well.

I've currently got the AdGuard dns setup for that at my house for my family.

They can always change that setting locally if they wanted to, but most don't know what a dns is and id rather they not click ads!

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
For Windows 10, easier, quicker and staying within Windows' new GUI style settings

Type "Network Status" in Start/Search >> Click on "Properties" under the Ethernet (Or whatever else is there for Wireless if on wifi) >> Edit IP Settings ... And bingo!