How-To: Change Your IP Address in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_manic

Administrator
Note: This procedure changes the IP address of a computer on a wired or wireless network. If you want to change the IP address of your internet connection, you should contact your service provider, as they're the ones who exert control over this.

Change-Network-IP-Address-Windows.png

To change your network IP address in Windows XP, Vista, or 7:

1. Press the Windows Key and R

2. Type command and press Enter. This loads your DOS prompt

3. Type ipconfig /release then press Enter. This disables your internet connection

4. Go to your desktop, and right-click on something called Network Place or My Network Places (If you're using Windows Vista or 7, look for the Network and Sharing Center through Control Panel)

5. Click Properties. You should now see something called Local Area Connection or something similar

6. Right-click on your connection (titled Local Area Connection if you're using an ethernet cable or Wireless Network Connection if you're on WiFi) and click Properties

7. Under the General tab, double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

8. A new window appears. On its own General tab, click the box beside Use the following IP address

9. Type in ones until you fill the box up (it should read 111.111.111.111)

10. Press Tab. You'll notice the Subnet Mask section automatically fill sup with numbers

11. Click OK

12. Click OK to bring you back to the "Local Area Connection" screen

13. Right-click Local Area Connection and Click on Properties again

14. Again, under the General tab, double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

15. Select Obtain an IP address automatically

16. Click OK

17. Click OK

18. Go back to your DOS prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter. This restores your internet connection.

By now, the network should've assigned a new IP address to your computer automatically.

namrata

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi,

I am a Newbie here, and as gone through your post, I found this procedure very applicable. Basically, for securing our data we need to change the IP address.

There is also another way to change an IP address, by placing Proxy IP address and this can be done by going through tools then options, advance tab, then click on settings, check on manual proxy configuration and fill the proxy IP and then ok.

By this you can change your IP address to Proxy IP.

Thanks!! :)

s-mc

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Won't ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew work just the same or are you coming from a security point of view where users sometimes don't have permissive rights to carry out this operation in windows CLI

Why go through the properties of TCP in network center? Or am I missing the point, its late and I've ate too many chips.

Reactions: abbottmichelle

rodyhoffer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I think what you are changing there is only the IP of your PC via your router. But the IP given to you by your ISP remains the same.
You can check your ISP IP by googling out "what is my IP" there are online sites for this. I don't think changing your IP vs getting it automatically from your router has do much help. IMO, don't bother yourself "hard coding" your IP address.

Exkiezie

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I always change my ip this way on windows xp but now since ive updated to windows 7 I try to change my ip and it always stays the same its driving me crazy any help why ?

rohit_20

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
ROHIT

ip address is the logical address that uniquely identifies a pc in a network.
am i right?
bt by doing the above method of changing to all (111.111.111.111) is there a change in this ip address??

and 1 more thng,
the ip address that is transferred over net
is not the actual ip address of the pc
bt it iz the translated ip address (i.e using NAT or PAT)

so i wanna know whether changing the ip address iz changing ths translated ip address r nt???????

rohit_20

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
hey! thanks fo the reply though late..:)
okiee so u r saying that the ip address that we change is the logical ip..rite
so what's the physical ip of a computer(is it the MAC-address)??
its true that we r changing the logical ip address..bt it is nt the ip that iz transferred over the net..cz if i chck the ip in the mails its nt the same as logical ip f my pc..its f sm othr series..

am i rite or m missing sm details???????

plss do reply!!

thanks..

------------------------

No, the IP adress is given to you for the ISP and this IP is dinamyc. In some case (LAN) you can change the IP for another, BUT this is 'cause the range of IP isn't public, is private.

showger

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Nice tips to change ip-address,You can find the Ip-address before changing it,in the site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ you can find the ip-address..

Keith5400

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
O this is exactly what the local networking guy does on my machine. Now I no longer need to call him in case I run into any IP related networking trouble so thanks. :)

incienso413

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
learnt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is free spyware removal software. protect your pc from spyware, trojan virus, etc.

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
soo wait a second... people who get ip banned from a game, can just do this and get back in??

So then there is no way to permanently ban someone who crashed your network??

I understand this only changed your NIC or wifi IP address..

and the computer address or MAC can never be changed?? But my wifi MAC changes everytime i reset it..

So what, identifies a pc nowadays??? there seems to be many meanings for a static IP, which i thought was the one that never changed...

farmerings

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
1Click "Start"
2Click on/point at "All Programs". Expand the Accessories menu
3In the Accessories menu, Right Click "Command Prompt" and click on "Run as..."
4Choose "administrator"
5Click "ok"
6Type "ipconfig /release" and hit enter.This will disable your internet connection.To undo,type "ipconfig/renew"
7Click "Start", "Control Panel", and open "Network and Sharing Center". Depending on your view, you may have to click Network and Internet before you see the Network and Sharing Center icon
8From the Tasks menu on the left, choose "Manage Network Connections"
9Find and Right click on the active "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties".(If you’re hit with a UAC prompt, choose Continue)
10Double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
11Click on "Use the following IP address"
12Enter a false IP like 123.123.123.123
13Press Tab and the 'Subnet Mask' section will populate with default numbers
14Hit "OK" twice
15Right click the active "Local Area Connection" again and choose "Properties"
16Double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"
17Choose "Obtain an IP address automatically"
18Hit "OK" twice

tanmaysnv

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
IP addresses are typically allocated by network servers for a period of time. That can be hours or days. This is often referred to as a lease. Typically servers record details of the device which it communicates with using a mac code. This is an identifier built into the network ports of most network type devices including routers, computer network cards, modems and such like.

If the device remains connected to the network, the lease will be renewed with the same IP. Even if a device is disconnected from a network, if you reconnect before the lease has expired, it will pick up the same IP. :hello:

Samah

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
hi I put IP Address and the gateway , Preferred DNS server, Alternate DNS server and make restart and then no access to internet because the number I put them deleted after the retart so what can I do to save these Number

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I'm still not understanding why you'd WANT to change your IP address. As stated previously if you are behind any "normal" home router you're getting a private RFC1918 address which isn't routable on the internet. Your router will use network address translation to translate the address to it's external or public IP address when it goes outbound.

Changing an IP address just on a private network really doesn't help you much, if any from a security stand point. If I was on your private network and you changed it to something I didn't know... it would be really easy to "re-discover" you either actively using a network scanner (like nmap) or passively sniffing packs with wireshark. Even on a switch I'll still see the broadcast ARP requests. So again.. without knowing more I'm just not real sure why anyone would care to do this.

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

No. Your broadcast IP will still be the same so yuo are still banned from the game. In fact if you are at work, the whole people their can't play the game you are banned because their IP will be the same.

The IP that was discussing here is the IP of your computer. Meaning if that IP has a full access to the internet then you can browse all the websites. If the IP that was assigned to you has limited access, then you can only see those pages allowed.

junaidccna

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010

no its not possible on win-xp or win 7
only your isp can perform it.
all adresses are in pool state and dynamically assigned to you.
whenever u connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.