TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. Can someone tell me how to check if my SSD has bad sectors, logical ones, and physical ones?

CrystalDisk tells me the health of my SSD is now 97%, and i suspect there is an accumulation of bad sectors happening. I used HD Tune, but it says there are no bad sectors. I don't believe HD Tune, because if there are no bad sectors, why is the health of my SSD declining?

I want to see how good is the health of the SSD, so i can know if it's time for starting making back-ups, or i still have a lot of time to use the SSD, before it reaches a critical point.

SYSTEM INFORMATION:

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro
SSD: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1014 256.0 GB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model SSD? Capacity? How full? Age? Heavy use for reading/writing?

Are you running any SSD "maintenance tools" or "utilities" from third party sources?

Have you tried the applicable manufacturer's diagnostic tool?

Reactions: TheFlash1300

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model SSD? Capacity? How full? Age? Heavy use for reading/writing?

Are you running any SSD "maintenance tools" or "utilities" from third party sources?

Have you tried the applicable manufacturer's diagnostic tool?

The operating system is Windows 10.
The SSD is this: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1014 256.0 GB

The age of the SSD and the whole laptop is a little bit over 1 year and a half.

Currently, it isn't used for heavy reading/writing. However, in the past, it was. Many downloads of files between 5-30 gigabytes, and many files were deleted.

Nowadays, the SSD is used mainly for LibreOffice projects and files with programming codes in them.

Internet browsing, downloading, and uploading images are other things I use the laptop for.

So, as you can see, no heavy use is happening, just light use.

No, I don't use third-party programs. I use only CrystalDisk, which shows the S.M.A.R.T information.

I don't know how to use the manufacturer's tool. Would you explain me how to use it?

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
"Health" for an SSD is generally just a reading of how many bytes have been written vs whatever the warranty TBW is.

It is not "health" or any bad sectors.

Total Host Reads: 9959 GB
Total Host Writes: 6125 GB
Power On Counts: 304 counts
Powen On Hours: 2989 hours

So, what do you think? Is this a lot, or not? Is the SSD nearing its end, or is it far from the end?

The operating system is Windows 10.
The SSD is this: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1014 256.0 GB

The age of the SSD and the whole laptop is a little bit over 1 year and a half.

Currently, it isn't used for heavy reading/writing. However, in the past, it was. Many downloads of files between 5-30 gigabytes, and many files were deleted.

Nowadays, the SSD is used mainly for LibreOffice projects and files with programming codes in them.

Internet browsing, downloading, and uploading images are other things I use the laptop for.

So, as you can see, no heavy use is happening, just light use.

No, I don't use third-party programs. I use only CrystalDisk, which shows the S.M.A.R.T information.

I don't know how to use the manufacturer's tool. Would you explain me how to use it?
Post a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo.

If your down 3% in 1.5yrs you have 30+yrs to go.

USAFRet

Titan
https://www.westerndigital.com/warranty/commercial-products
The warranty TBW on that drive is 200TBW, 5 years.
This is not when it will "die", just that it is no longer under warranty.

You've written 6.1TB, in 124 days (24/7 use).

Assuming that use rate continues at that level, extrapolating it out means it will exceed the warranty TBW in mid-2033.

It is fine.
Keep good backups anyway.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Following up:

"I don't know how to use the manufacturer's tool. Would you explain me how to use it? "

Western Digital Dashboard - diagnostic software (free).

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

Read the documentation before using.

= = = =

And, as mentioned, your SSD appears well and healthy with hopefully a long life ahead.

Last thoughts: Do not let the numbers "get in your head" but pay attention as necessary. And most importantly, as stated above: "Keep good backups anyway".

Reactions: TheFlash1300

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Crystaldisk calculates disk health differently in HDs and SSDs.

Your disk is fine, and the percentage will drop constantly as you keep on writing the disk.
If it reports the disk as good, then it is good.
Check critical warning and other values.

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
The easiest way to keep track of the number of bad sectors on an SSD is to run ChkDsk (short for "check disk") in Windows®. After checking the drive, ChkDsk will report the number of bad sectors it found. Make a note of what that number is and run ChkDsk again after a couple of days.