How to check for any damage after inadvertent scheduled automatic 'optimization' of SSDs in windows 10

theself

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hi all,

I have only just realized Windows has potentially been 'optimizing' (which I believe may involve defragging) my two SSDs automatically (through the automatic scheduling system in Windows 10 under 'Optimize drives') every month for the last couple of years of having the drives- is there any method, procedure or application I can use to test to see if there's any damage to or issues with my SSDs as a result? Does 'optimize' mean it's been defragging specifically for sure?

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for any feedback!

Hey there, theself.

Windows 10 should not automatically run defragmentation on SSDs via the optimization. It's "smart" enough to know how to optimize an SSD in most cases: http://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/.
As for checking your SSDs, you could always download a diagnostic tool and test the drives for errors: https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183.

However even if you've had defragmentation running you shouldn't find any errors because of that. It's just that it could shorten and SSD's life due to the many unnecessary writes it does when moving/rearranging info. Basically that's performed by the TRIM command automatically for SSDs.

Hope that helps. Happy Holidays to you as well! :)
Boogieman_WD

theself

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Thank you for your swift reply- that gives me peace of mind- looking at the status under 'optimize drives' window- the current status of one SSD (my main 'C' drive) is 'Needs optimization (29 days since last run)' indicating it has tried optimizing in the past- the other SSD says 'OK (0 days since last run)' as I inadvetently clicked to optmize that second drive today thinking it was a regular HDD, forgetting it is a SSD.. but as you say hopefully Windows 10 should not automatically run defragmentation specifically on SSDs via the optimization button regardless (I did not see the old legacy windows OS defragging graphics of colored squares changing color as the drive becomes defragged so hopefuly none was done though maybe that isn't a feature of teh optimize drive optin in WIndows 10 specifically)
- I have since turned off the automatic scheduled optimization so this doesn't happen again but my question is I do have a 3rd regular HDD that should need defragging on a regular basis- is there a way to make windows automatically optimize and defrag the HDD without touching the two other SSDs (it seems the 'optimize drives' window only offers an off or on button for automatic optimization without being able to specifically select which drive/s to optimize automatically and which to not?

Thank you once more!

Check this out: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8963-optimize-drives-schedule-settings-change-windows-10-a.html. Check out step 7. I think this is what you're looking for. From there you should be able to select which drives you want to be included in the scheduled optimization. :)

USAFRet

Titan
Solution