[SOLVED] How to check for HDD physical damage

Airplaneotaku

Reputable
Aug 8, 2016
Specifically a Toshiba 3TB P300 HDD.
tl;dr: How do I test for physical damage if it got water leaked on when it was running, as it seems to have formatted itself?
I recovered a lot of data from it, but it was damaged enough that TestDisk couldn't restore the partition.

Background:
So, about 3 months ago whilst setting up my WC loop, I used a Swiftech MCP355 which has a cheaply manufactured fixed barb. With my PC as open front, the input and output facing away from me, the tube (yes, it was the proper size) softened enough after a while that I actually got sprayed in my face whilst the PC was running, out of the barb's output, despite the cable tie I'd put on for good measure. (NEVER trust a fixed barb.)
I didn't bother to fix it until about a week ago, still having nightmares about my $2000+ in hardware that would have all been fried in the worst way if I hadn't kept the front open or if the pump's orientation was anything otherwise.

The HDD is directly below, and it formatted itself it would seem. I've reason to suspect it got leaked on. The drive showed as empty although Photorec pulled data off of it and chkdsk was fine.

How would I know if it's stable enough to trust anything with?

Solution
If water got inside the drive, I would not use it anymore.
Only helium drives are sealed. Normal (non-helium) have air filters and water can theoretically get in there.

But you can check drive health by reading drive SMART data. Use HDtune health.
If water got inside the drive, I would not use it anymore.
Only helium drives are sealed. Normal (non-helium) have air filters and water can theoretically get in there.

But you can check drive health by reading drive SMART data. Use HDtune health.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS