how to check how much RAM windows uses!

G

I don't even know why I bother replying, some people just never do their homework before saying anything.

Lazy I suppose? didn't know I suppose? couldn't care less I suppose?

But I care!

For those of you using Win2K, you can check this by

opening the task manager, see under processes the actual list of files being used just to maintain a working windows operating system environment. Last count before opening this notepad had 20 proceses using a total of 40.752MB

Then you go to performance where if you have 128MB, it will say 130524K free, where 548K used for BASE memory

then available around 65MB and so on.

So it teles where 128 - 40 = 88 and you wonder where is the other 23MB, well look in System Information-Loaded Modules and there are 224 files using 34.19743MB

now you ask where the hell did the -11MB comes from, well thats in virtual memory now.

If you don't believe me you can try it with excel, in System Information-loaded modules there is a button on-top called action and in it there is a thing call save as text file, so you do that.

Then use excel to open it and make sure to 'delimited" tabs and spaces etc and then perform the simple sum(.....) and you will see how much ram is being needed when windows boot.

Then I went into control panel, system, advance, reduce paging size to 2MB and reboot.

task manager said free memory 65MB, system information loaded module says used 32MB, task manager proceses 18 used 30Mb

so I think the maths proves it 128 - 65MB = 63MB = 32 + 30

So many people doesn't reliase how memory hungry windows really are, thats why Bill gates is so rich! simply because people didn't care to find out. :(

so the people using ME you can also check the system information but to see whats actually on RAM then I don't know, need 3rd party utility.

I hope some one may benefit from this information.

Best regards
cx5

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
at octools.com
octoyz.com
or some other links in the sites, you can download utilities. one example is cpucool.

or download.com zdnet.com,
search for memory utilities using similar keywords.

I think windows kick ass compared to old dos os. That's why bill gates got rich. I love Internet Explorer too. I don't like him, but he didn't make those, he simply hired people who made those. Well there is technical weakness but I am not a tech geek so I don't care. And there are many like me.