Question How to check how much watts is my computer using?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I want to know if there is any software that can detect how much power my system is using, because I am curious about power consumption. Is there a software that can detect how much power my system is using? Or do I have to buy one of those power meters?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesterbaze

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Russell Barlow

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
PC Power Supply's wattage is rated by how much it produces, not by how much it sucks from the wall.

So as long as your PC is REALLY 80 Plus Bronze and not just rated as such, you could multiply by w/e the Kill A Watt meter says by something like .80 to get a general idea of how much your PSU is producing. That said, PSUs generally peak in efficiency near 80% their max rating, so as a general rule you want the wattage being pulled from the wall to be within or close to the range of w/e your PSU was designed to operate under.

This is also assuming it's not defective or damaged. There's not much else you can do without neophyte or apprentice electrician skills or hardware support. There is some software that will look at VIDs on the motherboard and GPUs and most any modern board/gpu is going to measure VID so you proably have some "hardware support" already. That information can be helpful, but that's not the whole picture either, tho between that and the Kill A Watt unit even you can get a pretty complete data-set without even touching a voltage meter.

PS: Do note the the amperage load your hardware puts on your PSU's rails Vs. the amperage the rails are rated to handle, this matters more than the total wattage of the PSU, and numbers can vary wildly. For example, my Thermaltake TR2 700w has a 52a 12v rail (12v powers the CPU, GPU, Motherboard), which which comes out to 624w (12v * 52a = 624w) of power that it can deliver over the 12v rail. This is less than some quality 650w units much less a decent 700w unit.

Daniel Langstaff

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Your computer can actually analyze itself... this is for windows.
Do this:
Launch run
enter cmd (for administrator mode only)
Enter command line "powercfg -ENERGY"
It will generate a report named "energy-report.html"
Go to C:\Windows\System32\ to open the report.
This will at least give you a better clue as to how your computer is using your power in an instance by instance basis.

BTW this is for windows 7 and later. IDK about earlier versions.

Lars Roessell

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
"Your computer can actually analyze itself... this is for windows.
Do this:
Launch run
enter cmd (for administrator mode only)
Enter command line "powercfg -ENERGY"
It will generate a report named "energy-report.html"
Go to C:\Windows\System32\ to open the report.
This will at least give you a better clue as to how your computer is using your power in an instance by instance basis."

BTW this is for windows 7 and later. IDK about earlier versions.[/quotemsg]

Quite interesting...
However my report only shows which processes are using how many percent of the CPU.
Not how much power is used.

comrade420

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Quite interesting...
However my report only shows which processes are using how many percent of the CPU.
Not how much power is used.[/quotemsg]

is it normal to find errors and warnings?

Chris_Fathead

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

HEY BUDDY, YOU CAN CHECK ONE OUT FROM THE LIBRARY. I DID THIS IN MY STATE.

HeroicKevin92

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Please tag it solved :) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.