[SOLVED] How to check if a motherboard is healthy?

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
I am a bit suspicious of the motherboard I am using. (ASUS Z270F Gaming)
How can I know if it's working flawlessly?

Solution
running device benchmarks and a full system benchmark should help, something like RealBench or GeekBench. And CPU stability test to see if VRM's are running hot.

But you also might want to know all peripherals are OK. Simple tests would be to move HDD around to all the SATA ports and check all USB ports with a flash drive or keyboard/mouse to see if they are functioning. Also check that your sound is functioning and network are functioning if you use add-in cards for them. Check your PCIe slots by moving the GPU around. Be sure to check your board's specifications web site to become familiar with how pcie...
running device benchmarks and a full system benchmark should help, something like RealBench or GeekBench. And CPU stability test to see if VRM's are running hot.

But you also might want to know all peripherals are OK. Simple tests would be to move HDD around to all the SATA ports and check all USB ports with a flash drive or keyboard/mouse to see if they are functioning. Also check that your sound is functioning and network are functioning if you use add-in cards for them. Check your PCIe slots by moving the GPU around. Be sure to check your board's specifications web site to become familiar with how pcie lanes are shed, making some ports become non-functional, as things move around.

If you want to know if it's at full speed it will be more involved as you'll have to run appropriate device benchmarks at each sata port and usb port and pcie slot. Low performance there is most often a result of wrong or out of date device drivers loaded for them in Windows though.

Reactions: mkaafy
Solution