How To Check If My Mobo Support NVMe Boot From My PCI-e

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
Solution

As secondary drives in a PCIe adapter, they'll work just fine.
Don't bother trying to force that system to boot from one of those drives.

You can even install your applications on those secondary drives, and just leave the OS on a regular SSD.
All of the perceived speed, none of the hassle.

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from VXsz : "Best Dual M.2 NVMe SSD PCI-e?"

I'm planning to grab 2 of https://www.newegg.com/global/sa-en/Product/Product.asp... (HP EX900 M.2 250GB)

So what is the best PCI-e that has dual M.2 NVMe support (without performance loss)

And is the SSD good because it is cheaper than other SSDs

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from VXsz : "Best M.2 NVMe SSD PCI-e with 2 SSDs?"

I'm considering taking 2 of https://www.newegg.com/global/sa-en/Product/Product.asp... (HP EX900 M.2 250GB)

So what is the best PCI-e that has dual M.2 NVMe support, without performance loss and such

And is the SSD good because it is cheaper than other NVMe SSDs

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017

First sorry for repeating the question I thought it works differently

Well I'm starting to have big projects (After Effects, Premiere Pro, 3D and such) and I can't stand HDD anymore
My PC specs aren't the best but since storage will stay, I want to buy SSDs to make my workflow a lot smoother and even if I changed my pc I can just put my old SSDs

One of the M.2s will be a boot drive and main apps/programs, and the other will be for caching and other project-related stuff that needs high speed, and the last 2.5 SSD will be for storage (project files, movies, games... etc) (I could buy an HDD and save money but I just can't stand HDD storge anymore)

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
BTW my specs are (for now)

CPU: i5-3470
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 (2GB VRAM)
mobo: Z77 D3H (rev1.1)
RAM: Kingston 2*8GB

I know my specs are kind of bad when coming to using after effects and other heavy programs but I'm planning for a new high-end build

USAFRet

Titan

SSD's? Yes.
NVMe SSD's on that 7 year old system? Maybe not.

As stated earlier, you'd have to rely on a 3rd party BIOS mod to even begin to try.
Any new modern system, along with NMVe drives, would make a huge difference in your workflow.

NVMe drives in that system may not be as great a benefit as you might assume.

Personally, I'd work with one or two regular SSD's first, and see how that goes.

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017

Yes I know, I don't have a problem using 3rd party BIOS mod, and even if it doesn't work(or perform slower because of my PC) I will still use it in my future build, I'm just buying it now because there is a huge discount in my country

USAFRet

Titan

As secondary drives in a PCIe adapter, they'll work just fine.
Don't bother trying to force that system to boot from one of those drives.

You can even install your applications on those secondary drives, and just leave the OS on a regular SSD.
All of the perceived speed, none of the hassle.

Solution

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017

Just one last question, What is the best PCI-e with dual NVMe would you suggest me to buy (i highly prefer Newegg)

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017

I went with a normal 2.5 SSD (MX500 -which looks the best performer as I have read- 500GB) because prices changed and my budget wasn't the best so yeah xD (altho at the same time I don't want to deal with m.2 and 3rd party mods to make it work)

Thank you anyway <3

TRENDING THREADS