How to check if old desktop hard drive still works

1expressltd

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
The hard drive I'm referring to is from my old desktop which I have sold. It was used as 2nd drive, for data storage. Windows software was installed on an ssd. Prior to selling my old pc, I encountered a problem with the said hdd when it all of a sudden caused my pc not booting to windows; this occurred when the hdd was connected to the mobo- pc booted fine and functioned if it was disconnected. I never had the chance to diagnose said problem. I just removed the affected hard drive from my pc entirely.
Now I am using a new pc with an ssd as boot drive and a separate hdd for storage. I'm wondering how I can check the old hard drive using my new computer without causing harm or problem. Thanks for the assistance.

Solution

Yes, but...
If it is defective, as seems to be the case, it will directly influence booting up the system.

I encountered a problem with the said hdd when it all of a sudden caused my pc not booting to windows; this occurred when the hdd was connected to the mobo

Hence, the dock, which can be turned on or connected after the system is up and running.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, but...
If it is defective, as seems to be the case, it will directly influence booting up the system.

I encountered a problem with the said hdd when it all of a sudden caused my pc not booting to windows; this occurred when the hdd was connected to the mobo

Hence, the dock, which can be turned on or connected after the system is up and running.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS