Question How to check if processor is busted?

Jun 18, 2019
I have a Ryzen 7 on a MSI Bazooka M350 motherboard and it's worked fine for a year plus. However, for the past few days the PC powers on but won't boot and the display is black.
I have tried unplugging different components like RAM sticks without any difference.

My MSI Motherboard's EZ Debug Light is lighting up for CPU. According to its manual, that might indicate a CPU not detected or fail.

How should I go about checking if it is indeed the processor is busted?

Jun 18, 2019
Do you have access to another AM4 based system to swap the CPUs to/from? Have you changed anything regarding this system before the problem occurred.
I unfortunately do not have another AM4 system to swap the CPUs to/from. I had been having random shutdowns before for the past few weeks so I figured it might be a) cooling system, so I cleaned the GPU and CPU cooler fans or b) the RAM so I cleaned the RAM sticks, but I've never had it not boot at all.

Would turning the PC on for a few seconds and checking the heat of the CPU be a good idea to see if it is working or if it's just a loose connector pin?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, reset the BIOS to its default settings to see if anything changes.

To reset the BIOS...
  1. Disconnect all power sources, i.e. power cable, video cable, powered speakers, etc.
  2. Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (this is important).
  3. Remove the motherboard battery and wait at least 1 minute before reinserting.
  4. Reconnect previously disconnected devices/cables.
  5. Power on (BIOS should be reset to default at this point).

Jun 18, 2019
Have you tried a cooler remount? How did you clean the RAM sticks? Have you attempted a CMOS clear?
Sorry, by cooler remount do you just mean adjusting it to make sure it's properly touching the thermal-paste coated processor? I did do that.
I haven't done CMOS clear and I'm not sure how I'd do that.
I cleaned the RAM sticks with a soft cotton cloth.

Jun 18, 2019
Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, reset the BIOS to its default settings to see if anything changes.

To reset the BIOS...
  1. Disconnect all power sources, i.e. power cable, video cable, powered speakers, etc.
  2. Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (this is important).
  3. Remove the motherboard battery and wait at least 1 minute before reinserting.
  4. Reconnect previously disconnected devices/cables.
  5. Power on (BIOS should be reset to default at this point).
No, I am not overlocking anything. Thank you, I will try resetting the BIOS and let you know if that resolves the issue.

Jun 18, 2019
While resetting the BIOS per the procedure above, make sure your memory is fully inserted into the slots (and locked in).
So, I reset the BIOS following your steps by removing the CMOS battery (I did not use the jumper reset method) and it still won't boot. The EZ Debug LED on the MSI motherboard still lights up and remains on. I also am hearing one short, faint beep on boot.
What do you suggest I should do next to confirm if it is indeed the processor that is the faulty part here?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
I have a Ryzen 7 on a MSI Bazooka M350 motherboard and it's worked fine for a year plus. However, for the past few days the PC powers on but won't boot and the display is black.
I have tried unplugging different components like RAM sticks without any difference.

My MSI Motherboard's EZ Debug Light is lighting up for CPU. According to its manual, that might indicate a CPU not detected or fail.

How should I go about checking if it is indeed the processor is busted?
The cpu would be the least likely thing to fail. The only way to confirm what is wrong would be swapping parts.

Jun 18, 2019
While resetting the BIOS per the procedure above, make sure your memory is fully inserted into the slots (and locked in).
I also reseated the processor and checked to see if any pins were bent or broken but couldn't notice any. Is there anything I can do to check/confirm the issue further beyond getting a new motherboard and testing the setup on that?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I also reseated the processor and checked to see if any pins were bent or broken but couldn't notice any. Is there anything I can do to check/confirm the issue further beyond getting a new motherboard and testing the setup on that?
Not really. You are at the point where swapping known, good components is your only recourse. A local shop could possibly assist with this (or a friend with a similar system).

Reactions: paraguardian90