[SOLVED] How to Check if these 2 files were already corrupted or my hard drive corrupted them ?

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
I Have 2 video Files that were Inside my hard Drive since 1 year never tried to open them until today and both are corrupted
How can I check if the files were already corrupted when I moved them 1 year ago because I never checked them until today
or my hard drive which is WD 1TB Blue hdd (Internal Drive ) has a problem and rnadomly corrupt files ?

1-i checked the drive SMART data all fine No errors and No bad sectors 100% Clean
2-No Viruses or Malwares were Inside my Computer never
first file is flv and the second is mp4

im Not asking how to recover them as I don't need them
but I just want to be sure it's Not my hdd that corrupt them .

Solution
thanks the MP4 File is reporting that the file size is 2.4gb but size on disk is 420mb it looks like incomlete video file that was Not fully downloaded right ? it was 1 year ago and I don't remmember
can a corrupt video file has that huge different in size ?
Partial copy, or was bad on the source drive.

If all the tests and readings on your current drive are fine, the drive is probably fine.

However, you should always always always have a good backup routine.
I've seen brand new drives go from seemingly great to dead in a single day.
There's no way to know if they were corrupted a year ago or the day before you tried to open them. When you look at the file properties, does the 'modified date' match the time the videos were initially downloaded?

If SMART info and WD drive software both report that the drive is fine, then I would be inclined to believe that the drive is fine.

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
There's no way to know if they were corrupted a year ago or the day before you tried to open them. When you look at the file properties, does the 'modified date' match the time the videos were initially downloaded?

If SMART info and WD drive software both report that the drive is fine, then I would be inclined to believe that the drive is fine.
thanks the MP4 File is reporting that the file size is 2.4gb but size on disk is 420mb it looks like incomlete video file that was Not fully downloaded right ? it was 1 year ago and I don't remmember

USAFRet

Titan
Partial copy, or was bad on the source drive.

If all the tests and readings on your current drive are fine, the drive is probably fine.

However, you should always always always have a good backup routine.
I've seen brand new drives go from seemingly great to dead in a single day.

Solution