How to check my SSD health?

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Ok so I'm using a samsung 840 PRO SSD (128GB) and I want to check if it has ANY problems since turning my PC (yes the OS is installed in that drive) takes 5 mins all total and maybe the power outages in our might have affected it HEAVILY

or maybe dust that gathered inside it affected it too HEAVILY

the samsung magician software has its own S.M.A.R.T readings but I don't know how to "understand" the technical values it puts out so surely there must be another way to determine it?

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

thanks

I downloaded and installed it and here are the results...

ab3sqb.png

maybe its the pagefile?
registry?

I really don't know where I am screwing it up :(

your ssd would appear to be fine from that screenshot ,
perhaps your ssd is not the problem , is there a problem with windows not loading ? have you tried it in another sata port and a different sata data lead , you could also try reinstalling your chipset and sata drivers

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

windows is loading just fine/no isues (in startup) what do you mean with trying it on with a "different data lead" I can't understand that part I'll try doing the updates first as I haven't updated this in the last 2 months before I try moving to a different port

how about the dust thing and the power outage thing? does it affect it in anyway?

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

the motherboard is a MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX

I don't think I did the optimization thing as I did it semi manual (before installing the magician software)unless I should? what settings should I do in there? the max performance settings? I also did the RAPID thing and improve some of the benchmark scores

i would suggest buying a ups (uninterruptible power supply ) battery backup this may save you a lot of worry and give you time to shut down your pc after you lose power , the good ones like belkin and cyberpower give you a warranty of up to $100000 of whatever you have hooked up to it if it gets fried by lightning strike or power surge etc.
the power goes off quite a bit here in winter and the ups gives me roughly 30mins to save my stuff before my pc power dies

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

currently am looking for a quality UPS along those names however the problem about the shutting down thing is currently still happening do I just have to leave it alone (for now)?

with the dust problem i would blow out your case with some compressed air , either with an air compressor or can of compressed air and buy magnetic or some kind of dust filters if you wish to keep dust to a minimum , also more intake fans on your case than exhaust will give you positive air pressure and that will also help reduce dust intake into your case

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

so dust doesn't affect the performance at all?

I only do that as a last resort as the PC stubbornly shutsdown VERY slowly (wasn't expecting this from a SSD) and wish I could fix that problem somehow...

dust will not slow down an ssd , but too much dust in your case is not good because it will lead to overheat issues , your cpu heatsink will clog with dust as will your gpu heatsink and reduce best cooling performance and an accumulation of dust on the mobo also can lead to a short.