How to check state of used GPU?

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hello, I want to upgrade my GPU from a 550 Ti to a 1050 Ti or a 1060 and I found a sweet deal with a 1060 6 GB being 30% down the price of a new one. I can go check the card but there is no pc there that I can plug and bench the card. What else can I do to see if the card is the right model as he says, how to check if it has been used for mining/etc?

Gam3r01

Titan
Checking the model is as simple as comparing model numbers and physical looks. Checking for mining is impossible though, there is no way to check what a card is used for outside of someones word.

If there is not a PC there to check it in, then bring your own PC. I would not buy a used card without checking it first OR if you bought it from somewhere with buyer protection like ebay and paypal.

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I will check the physical look and I hope I find the model number somewhere on the card. I have thought about bringing my own pc without the gpu but it's a pain to move the whole tower. I don't know if there is an easier way to test it, like bring only the psu and the motherboard + cpu.

I have read online that you can check about discolouration on the PCB. Is that true?

Gam3r01

Titan
If the PCB is discolored its an issue, but its not a telltale sign of anything. It could be damaged without that happening.

Only bringing a partial system will only tell you if the fans run, you need a full system to benchmark, stress test, and monitor temps on the card.

it sounds like your willing to do a lot just to save a few bucks off a GPU. GPU prices are starting to go down anyway so if you are not confident in this purchase just wait a little longer for prices to go down

KubiGR

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I watch the GPU prices and the used GPU deals daily, but a card even used being 200euro from the original 300euro is a good deal for me.

As you told me the only way is to bring my pc tower and I am thinking if there is an easier way. If you can think about something clever for testing the card, please do.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS