Question How to check where the weak link in the network is???

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
This is probably too broad a question, but I'm hoping you can help me with some ideas. Our internet has been garbage for three days. Keeps going in and out. TV, wifi, with macbooks, with phones, with chromebooks, with echo dots. I've reset the router and the switch two dozen times. It seems to maybe help sometimes? Other times it makes no difference. ISP claims things look good on their end. I can answer more questions about it if something else specific is useful.

My main question is, how do I narrow down if this is an ISP issue (seems like it might be since it if affecting tv too?), or a router issue, or the ubiquiti satellites, or whatever it is?

Thanks for any ideas.

kanewolf

Titan
This is probably too broad a question, but I'm hoping you can help me with some ideas. Our internet has been garbage for three days. Keeps going in and out. TV, wifi, with macbooks, with phones, with chromebooks, with echo dots. I've reset the router and the switch two dozen times. It seems to maybe help sometimes? Other times it makes no difference. ISP claims things look good on their end. I can answer more questions about it if something else specific is useful.

My main question is, how do I narrow down if this is an ISP issue (seems like it might be since it if affecting tv too?), or a router issue, or the ubiquiti satellites, or whatever it is?

Thanks for any ideas.
What type of connection is your internet (coax, fiber, etc) ?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Fiber. Direct from street into the router. Then goes through a switch and to two UniFi AP's for range on all three floors. Currently trying to check status of the AP's in the UniFi app and the are reporting they are offline.

It is pretty straight forward testing method. Start with disconnecting everything and plug a pc directly into the router. If you have issue at this point it is likely something wrong with the internet connection itself.
What you want to do to convince the ISP it is there issues is open a couple command windows and leave a constant ping run to the router IP and then some common IP like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8. What you hope to see is packet loss to the internet ip but no loss to the router IP.

After that add 1 piece of equipment at a time like your switch and then one of the AP etc until you isolate which connection has the problem. Wifi things tend to have much more issues than ethernet cables stuff but wifi problems should not affect devices plugged into the router or switch via ethernet.