Question How to check which part is causing crashes?

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
My favorite game is frequently crashing.

My Specs:

Asrock Z690 Pro RS
PSU 750 watt
Intel 12400F
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3600 MHZ, also XMP enabled
MSI Mech Radeon RX 6650 XT OC

I am gonna test swapping RX 6650 XT OC with NVIDIA 1050 Ti. I know about uninstalling display driver. Maybe it's my Ram causing crashes. I don't really know for sure. Does anyone know how to capture which part is responsible for crashing? Is it just generally educated guess with swapping parts or something? I am suspecting that 6650 XT OC may be responsible because I have too many problems with AMD GPUs as opposed to Nvidia GPUs. I never had a problem with Nvidia GPU, oc or not.

My Specs:

Asrock Z690 Pro RS
PSU 750 watt
Intel 12400F

I am gonna test swapping RX 6650 XT OC with NVIDIA 1050 Ti. I know about uninstalling display driver. Maybe it's my Ram causing crashes. I don't really know for sure. Does anyone know how to capture which part is responsible for crashing? Is it just generally educated guess with swapping parts or something? I am suspecting that 6650 XT OC may be responsible because I have too many problems with AMD GPUs as opposed to Nvidia GPUs. I never had a problem with Nvidia GPU, oc or not.
You might want to try memtest86 to test the ram.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

My Specs:

Asrock Z690 Pro RS
PSU 750 watt
Intel 12400F

What PSU are you using? A crappy PSU can cause crashes if it doesn’t supply enough power to the system. What game are you playing? Is it resource intensive?

Have you tried doing any scans? Typically, I’d start off by running sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt. While that is running, check the logs to see what happened when it crashed.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

xpyro1fire

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2013
You might want to try memtest86 to test the ram.

Which method? Longest way or short way?

What PSU are you using? A crappy PSU can cause crashes if it doesn’t supply enough power to the system. What game are you playing? Is it resource intensive?

Have you tried doing any scans? Typically, I’d start off by running sfc /scannow in an administrator command prompt. While that is running, check the logs to see what happened when it crashed.

EVGA 750w, Bronze at least, I'm sure. The game was Propnight and it wasn't resource intensive.

What logs are you referring to? Because I have no idea what you mean by logs. Like perhaps Propnight's logs? I didn't see any error log. The game just crash to desktop. That's it. I will try sfc /scannow though. That's a good tip.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

EVGA 750w, Bronze at least, I'm sure. The game was Propnight and it wasn't resource intensive.

What logs are you referring to? Because I have no idea what you mean by logs. Like perhaps Propnight's logs? I didn't see any error log. The game just crash to desktop. That's it. I will try sfc /scannow though. That's a good tip.
It’s hard to determine what model the PSU is with just the brand name/wattage. Even a good brand has cheap PSUs.

As for logs, Event Viewer is typically for system logs and Reliability Monitor is more for software issues. These are both built-in applications.

Which version of memtest86 are you trying to run?