How to check windows 7 system image is working ok

Paulusheart

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
As per title. How to check windows 7 system image will work in the future. I do not want to do recovery just to check on that. Is there any tool available to check recovery image?

Solution
Personally, I do NOT use the Windows 'System Image'.
But, if it works, it works.

If it fails recovering to your main drive with the current OS on it...then it fails. And maybe a full reinstall is needed.

It is, in theory, a full 'image' of the system as it was at the moment you made it. It wipes the entire drive, and rewrites everything back to the moment you created that image.

USAFRet

Titan

The only real way to know is to try it.
A backup is only as good as the last time you tested it.

Paulusheart

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for reply. In this case would like to know if recovery makes any harm to ssd drive or registry etc. Somehow I feel that recovery could 'spoil' my present fresh windows 7 install. Are there any side effects or risks associated with recovering from system image? If recovery goes wrong will I have to reinstall windows?

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I do NOT use the Windows 'System Image'.
But, if it works, it works.

If it fails recovering to your main drive with the current OS on it...then it fails. And maybe a full reinstall is needed.

It is, in theory, a full 'image' of the system as it was at the moment you made it. It wipes the entire drive, and rewrites everything back to the moment you created that image.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Macrium Reflect Free

Create a drive or partition image, on a schedule you set, Full, and optionally, Differential.

I have mine set to:
Image the C drive to another drive in the system every night at 2 AM. Keep 2 weeks worth, deleting the oldest.
Image the C drive to another PC on the LAN, every Sunday at 3 AM. Keep 4 weeks worth, deleting the oldest.

If my C drive dies, it is only 1 day old.
If the entire PC melts down, it is only one week old .

Other files and drives are backup differently, on their own schedule.