[SOLVED] How to choose a nvme ssd

Apr 10, 2020
Hello, i have this mother board,
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68 Pro3-M/index.asp

How can i know if it supports NVME SSD?

it looks like there's a compatible pcie port on the moher board but im not so sure how it would connect
a nvme storage becase it looks like it's gonna need to be held only by the connection

unlike this connection:
View: https://youtu.be/NCIqZjo34rw?t=88

where it has a proper mounting place for a screw.

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
Thanks for all the relpies, i'm looking to make my pc a bit faster,
From what i see at at startup the disk is at a 100% percent usage, and when i open programs (Visual studio for example),
The major rise is in disk usage and not RAM or CPU, so i figured changing the os drive to ssd will make a nice difference,
From what i hear sata SSD compared to NVME is much slower so i was looking for an nvme sata drive.

Is that correct? or i should feel a nice difference in the pc's speed at boot and normal operations also with a sata SSD?
On that motherboard, you will see no difference between a SATA III SSD and an NVMe.

Even on top end current motherboards, there is much less difference than you'd think.

For your system, just get a 2.5"...
You don't have slot for M.2, you cant use one...
If I remember correctly the first time there was M.2 was on Z87 chipset ( yours is 2 Generations behind).
Best you can use is SSD Nvme for PCI-E x4 Slot... but those are completely different animal and sometimes is really hard to be made into Boot device (if not impossible)...also they are expensive compared to M.2
Intel_SSD_750_series%2C_400_GB_add-in_card_model%2C_bottom_view.jpg

(Just use normal Sata SSD, they are insanely fast compared to HDD anyway)

USAFRet

Titan
Z68 motherboard.
No M.2 or NVMe capability.

Yes, you could use an adapter in a PCIe slot.
You won't be able to use that as the OS drive.

But the PCIe slots are only PCIe 2.0.
And if you have a GPU already in there, the only available slot is PCIe 2.0 x1.

Just get a 2.5" SATA III SSD.
You won't notice the difference.
Connects exactly the same as an HDD.

Apr 10, 2020
From what i see at at startup the disk is at a 100% percent usage, and when i open programs (Visual studio for example),
The major rise is in disk usage and not RAM or CPU, so i figured changing the os drive to ssd will make a nice difference,
From what i hear sata SSD compared to NVME is much slower so i was looking for an nvme sata drive.

Is that correct? or i should feel a nice difference in the pc's speed at boot and normal operations also with a sata SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

On that motherboard, you will see no difference between a SATA III SSD and an NVMe.

Even on top end current motherboards, there is much less difference than you'd think.

For your system, just get a 2.5" SATA III SD.
It will be miles faster than whatever HDD you have in there now.
And be a drop in replacement.

Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500 are the two best choices.

Reactions: asaf123098
Solution
Apr 10, 2020
What about Sandisk?
I'm on a budget and this one is better for me price wise, would you recommend it?
Sandisk Plus SDSSDA-240G-G26 240GB SSD SATA III

Or would you recommend just getting a Samsung \ Crucial with lower capacity?

USAFRet

Titan
What about Sandisk?
I'm on a budget and this one is better for me price wise, would you recommend it?
Sandisk Plus SDSSDA-240G-G26 240GB SSD SATA III

Or would you recommend just getting a Samsung \ Crucial with lower capacity?
Sandisk would be just below the Samsung or Crucial.
I have one.

And don't go below 240/250GB. Anything smaller than that is mostly useless.

Reactions: asaf123098

TRENDING THREADS