[SOLVED] How to choose among brands of the same GPU chip?

l0nglive

Reputable
Jul 25, 2017
I am reading about the GPU chips, and one chip often has many brands making them, with a different configuration. They often differ by number of fans, the base and boost Mhz speed, and price. I wonder if we should pursue a higher clock speed?

In the store that I'm looking at, the most expensive one is 45 Mhz faster than the cheapest and cost about $40 more. Within a same brand, there are multiple models as well. For example, MSI Ventus > Evoke > Gaming. The Saphire Nitro is also much more expensive than the Pulse variant.

I believe graphic cards are often running 90-100% during gaming, and they are pretty hot. I also read that the chip is smart enough to boost and to reduce work-rate to maintain a safe temperature. Does that mean they are often temperature-limited, thus, cooling is more important than the advertised clock speed?

" Does that mean they are often temperature-limited ?"
They CAN be temperature limited if your case cooling is bad....but in general I don't think they are.

As far as clock speed....I find the difference in clock speed (and performance) between cards using the same chip to be pretty minimal and I don't give the difference much "weight".

l0nglive

Reputable
Jul 25, 2017
" Does that mean they are often temperature-limited ?"
They CAN be temperature limited if your case cooling is bad....but in general I don't think they are.

As far as clock speed....I find the difference in clock speed (and performance) between cards using the same chip to be pretty minimal and I don't give the difference much "weight".

Does that mean we just pick the cheap/value option?