how to choose graphics card(s) for upto 4 2560 x 1440 monitors

rajc

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
i am building a computer and need to set it up to handle between 2 to 4 monitors with 2560 x 1440 resolution (will be 27 inches).

i can start with 2 monitors for now and add 2 more later.

i have ordered:

ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
Intel Core i7-5820K
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB
Arctic Silver 5
Cooler Master HAF X - High Air Flow Full Tower
SAMSUNG XP941
i have a few 2 TB HDDs.

i am not sure how to choose video card(s). i looked in to visiontek with 6 mini display ports but it seems to be too complicated to understand (e.g. i want to assure that i can set up the monitors in a horizontal line, i dont want to worry about mixing monitor, getting active adapter etc.)

i will not be playing games. i will be using it for trading, research, etc.

(my current set up is 7 years old and takes 5 minutes to boot where i can click on something in widnows and have it load. also it lags stock prices so i need a fairly fast computer)

Look at Matrox, they have very strong multi monitor support and are made for business use not gaming.

Your system is overkill for what you are going to be using it for. You can get a cheaper motherboard and a cheaper CPU and a 500 watt PSU instead of a 750 watt one.

Multi monitor setups for non-gaming do not need that much power or gaming and overclocking parts.

A $100 motherboard, i5 CPU or an AMD FX-6300, 500 watt power supply and you will be just fine for your use. 16 gg of RAM and a SSD are good for what you will be doing, the rest is a bit overdone.

rajc

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
i generally dont spend too much $ on computers. this is my 3rd comp in 20 years (and 1 laptop). so if it lasts next 10 years i will be fine.
i am also avid programmer who like to play around with big data. i am paying a lot to AWS each month to play around so i might be able to use this computer for it.

also i want to assure no lag in my trading since currently my 4 core, 1gb gpu, 4 gb ram PC is useless if i have more than 2 charts streaming.

i am using my work laptop with SSD for it that has 8 gb ram and i5 pro. so i want to assure i don't buy something that is equivalent to my current PC.

nonetheless, i am still looking for gpu. and i greatly appreciate you insight. will look at your suggestions now.

thank you for kindness and time