How to choose right charger for Moto Z Play

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
While I was looking at some Anker Chargers online, I saw some stuff that I liked and they included stuff like 5v / 2.4A but some had different wattage.

I read somewhere that higher amperage equals to faster charging? But I still dont understand how wattage affects the charger and the device.

So in conclusion what do I need to look out for when shopping for a wall charger? and in terms of Input and Output ratings, which is more important?

Solution
The output voltage will always be 5 volts. The amperage determines how fast it charges. More amps the faster it charges. A standard PC USB port generally will put somewhere along the lines of 0.5 amp, sometimes a little less (if you actually measure it).

I've found on all my devices my batteries last longer on each charge if I slow charge them. So I purposely slow charge them whenever possible. I'm typing this right now from a OnePlus device with a 4.0 amp charger that has basically never been used. While most will say Li-Ion batteries don't have a memory, or will be affected by the fast charge, every time I've tried testing slow vs fast charging slow always lasts longer.

Input doesn't really matter. Input voltage needs to match...
The output voltage will always be 5 volts. The amperage determines how fast it charges. More amps the faster it charges. A standard PC USB port generally will put somewhere along the lines of 0.5 amp, sometimes a little less (if you actually measure it).

I've found on all my devices my batteries last longer on each charge if I slow charge them. So I purposely slow charge them whenever possible. I'm typing this right now from a OnePlus device with a 4.0 amp charger that has basically never been used. While most will say Li-Ion batteries don't have a memory, or will be affected by the fast charge, every time I've tried testing slow vs fast charging slow always lasts longer.

Input doesn't really matter. Input voltage needs to match your countries voltage. However many chargers will say 110-220 as they will work on either voltage. As for the amperage, if you are looking are two chargers and they both put out the same current on the output, but one requires more input own of two things is happening:

1: One is a lower quality, and is using more energy to do the same thing.
2: One of them is lying, and is not outputting what it claims.

Either way, generally Anker is quality stuff. Definitely stick to a quality brand, an OEM charger or something known like Anker. Don't let my affinity for slow charging scare you away from fast charging either. Just maybe give it a whirl, try charging your phone from a PC USB port and see if your phone last any longer on that charge. It may not for you.

Solution
One thing I didnt mention is there is an upper limit to all devices. They will only draw what they need. So even if you get a 4.0 amp charger but your phone can only accept a max of 1.25 amps, that's all its going to draw. So bigger doesn't necessarily mean it will charge faster after a certain point.