How to choose the right DDR4 memory

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
The link on the sticky thread on memory FAQ`s and Tutorial is not working, and I need a little bit of schooling about memory, so I`ll post my question.
If I remember correctly, when choosing RAM, first look at what is compatible with motherboard, then choose the fastest you can afford, then choose the lowest latency. Is this correct?
I am confused about where some say memory could be faster with 2 sticks rather than 4 sticks of RAM. How can I figure what will be the fastest for my motherboard?
I have the Asus M8E motherboard. CPU is a Intel 6700K. I will be choosing at least16GB of RAM.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

correct

this is in regard to single, dual, triple or quad channel ram, which is determined by your motherboard available DIMM slots,
(the true functionality is determined by the mobo cpu configuration, but a dual channel cpu with a dual channel mobo with 3 or 4 DIMM slots can also run in single channel, even with triple or quad stick/"kits", it wont run in triple channel or quad channel, only single or dual channel)
a dual channel motherboard will function "best/optimal" with dual channel configuration RAM, i.e. 2sticks
it will/can work with 1, 3 or 4 sticks, it will just perform better in its DC configuration
(also note 4 sticks on a dual channel mobo is still technically dual channel its just x2 dual channel, which will work, 2 sticks will just perform very tiny better than 4sticks in x2 dual channel)

your motherboard/cpu is Dual channel and functions best set up in a dual channel kit, i.e 2 sticks, in your case 2x8gb sticks

then when it comes to buying "kits"
in that regard they are labeled single, dual, triple or quad channel in terms of internal compatibility
i.e. the manufacturer guarantees that the stick sold together will work together
where as if you buy 3x single stick kits or 2x dual channel kits, the manufacturer will no longer guarantee they will 100% work together in the same setup at the same time
(even tho 4x identical single channels kits, should work together put in 4 DIMMs on a dual channel mobo, the manufacturer will not make that guarantee, should an issue arise however unlikely)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
When looking for DRAM there are two primary factors to take in, first, the mobo needs to be capable of running the freq/data rate you want, then even more imprtantly (and the true defining factor) the MC (memory controller) needs to be able to run the data rate/freq. i.e. you can get a mobo that will run say 3200 DRAM, but to run it at 3200 the MC in the CPU needs to be capable, i.e. you aren't going to be able to run 3200 with a G4520 CPU

Further, on a dual channel mobo/CPU combo, to run full dual channel it can be done with either 2 or 4 sticks (contrary to the above - NO, it can't run tri or quad channel, a dual board is limited to dual channel. And in that instance a 2x combination of sticks is preferable to a 4x set as 2 sticks are less stress on the MC.

Can find more FAQs and Fiction on DRAM in my articles here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

sorry if my phrasing was wrong/poorly
should have said dual channel would also run 1, 3, 4 sticks, instead of "channels"
ofc they wont function in/as triple/quad channel
hope my correction is better phrased now

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
Can find more FAQs and Fiction on DRAM in my articles here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faq...

I read the article. I don`t understand it entirely, but I guess I can make an informed decision on choosing what RAM to buy.
I have decided to get this set.
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P2_20-231-937-_-05132016&Index=2
Or this set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232229

Please let me know if there is a better choice than what I made. I chose Gskill Ripjaws 5 because they look good. The motherboard I have is an Asus M8E, Z170 chipset, with a Intel i7 6700K CPU. I will be overclocking.
I made my decision on getting the fastest bandwith to stay under $125. Then I went with the lowest latency I can find in 16GB and 3000 DDR4.

TRENDING THREADS