How to clean my PC

Pandyred

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi there...

I'm not sure if I'm in the right category...

Many times I'm wondering how am I going to clean up all this dust that lives inside my computer tower... I mean the dust on the hardware (PCI cards, motherboard, fans, HDD etc.).
So I want someone do give me his thoughts about PC cleaning!

Is the vacuum cleaner a proper solution to clean?

Any idea/suggestion is more than welcomed...

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
A vacuum cleaner may not be the best solution. Some people will say it causes static build-up whereas others will say they have done it for years with no trouble. I'd prefer not to take the chance personally ;) Also, it can get pretty clumsy if you have a big vacuum cleaner. A can of compressed air may help blow the dust out of the hard to reach places.

fmf

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Compressed air works the best. I used to use canned air but it wasnt enough power for me. I got a air compressor now that blows the heck outta the computer! Works super good.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I've never actually used an air compressor - are they much more powerful than canned air? I only use canned air since I can usually pinch them from work for nothing!

Alpha60

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
1: Use electrostatic dusting cloth to clean the mother board and all the periferal hardware, 2: use cotton buds dipped in metholated spirit to clean the keyboard, 3: turn the keyboard upside down to shake out any crumbs.
The best cleaning cloth on the market which I still use is (PLEDGE GRAB IT).
Price $2.95. If you live in a country different from mine, its probably called by another name. Hope this helps.

I use a vacuum cleaner but I also use a long soft bristled paint brush.

Softly dust the board and components with the brush sucking up the dust as you go.

I have a Dyson with a really handy thin ended attachment, just be careful.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
A vacuum cleaner is the best but you need to be very careful. Don't use a very long sucking hose. It is best to remove the PCI cards, memory, hard disk, optical drive first then do the sides first before going to the motherboard, careful with the small dip switches.