How to clean or wipe out the video memory??

daniellm18

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
I have an HP Pavillion notebook zd7380us with a nvidia geforce fxgo5700 128mb dedicated memory, 1gb ram. OS windows xp media center edition 2004. Problem started by games crashing, updated drivers, nothing happened, later I got every time I turned the computer on some white dots and vertical color lines on my screen as soon as I start the machine, meaning on the BIOS first screen during and before the HP logo comes out and during and before the OS screen comes out, then when is about to log in the screen goes black, and I have to turn the laptop off manually, I can restart the machine on safe mode and if I disable the display drivers I am able to log in in "normal" windows,(of course with out the benefits of the graphic card) as soon as I enable the display drivers again from the graphic card, the computer screen imidately goes black and wont acept any command. I have try from reparing and reinstalling the OS clean the HDD by using killdisk, I have update the BIOS, and still nothing I got the same look on the screen(white dots and vertical lines) even while I am updating the BIOS or on DOS mode screen, I have been told that it might be some kind of garbage on the video memory, so this is my question, Is there a way I can clean, wipe or format the video memory???
or I have to send the laptop for hardware problem review?
I would really apreciate your help.
Thanks,
Dan.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Sounds like a software issue or a bad video card. Download the nvidia display drivers <A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp" target="_new">here. </A>

Possibly your VGA card is overheating or damaged. Games will certainly bring out the flaws in your system.

Memory is volatile, meaning that is loses it's contents when the power is turned off. There should be no junk in the VGA memory chips when the system is restarted.

Send your laptop in for RMA under your warranty guidelines.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem