[SOLVED] How to clean power supply without voiding warranty

Sep 29, 2019
I believe my power supply to be faulty.

The reason I didn't clean it for the first five years was because I didn't want to disturb the sticker which voids the warranty if removed.

Solution
Well it was XFX which is supposed to be Seasonic so I'm not exactly blown away.

I am unemployed but got my universal credit payment today and have ordered a Corsair TX650m.

Hopefully it will be here by Thursday, if it still restarts after that then I will be horrified.

One thing I've noticed recently is that when gaming the graphics card fan can't seem to get a moderate speed.

It starts trying to spin up but can't, until it eventually gives up and goes to high RPM.

So I'm hoping it's not a GPU fault.

But then performance in game is fine until the moment the system restarts. If the GPU was overheating or failing on a hardware level I'd expect a lack of performance and artifacts on screen.
D

Deleted member 14196

If it’s faulty then buy a new one cleaning is useless. Plus it’s got to be out of warranty by now

Sep 29, 2019
But I think the build up of dust made it faulty. I want to prevent the replacement one from building dust up over the years.

With my old one I never used compressed air just the vacuum cleaner through the vents but it didn't seem to get enough of the dust off.

So that's it then, that's probably why it failed in the first place.

Mod Edit for language

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

well, i am certain it was a factor, but general use, heck, even just sitting around they deteriorate so if it gave 5 yrs reliable power, that's not too bad, not the greatest, not bad though

Sep 29, 2019
Well it was XFX which is supposed to be Seasonic so I'm not exactly blown away.

I am unemployed but got my universal credit payment today and have ordered a Corsair TX650m.

Hopefully it will be here by Thursday, if it still restarts after that then I will be horrified.

One thing I've noticed recently is that when gaming the graphics card fan can't seem to get a moderate speed.

It starts trying to spin up but can't, until it eventually gives up and goes to high RPM.

So I'm hoping it's not a GPU fault.

But then performance in game is fine until the moment the system restarts. If the GPU was overheating or failing on a hardware level I'd expect a lack of performance and artifacts on screen.

Solution