Nov 22, 2019
There is a collection of some sticky substance on the top of my GPU, it almost looks like root beer or diet coke. I discovered the residue after a friend spilled root-beer on my desk and it dripped through onto/into my case. I've heard to use isopropyl alcohol but I worry since I feel like I will have to do some scrubbing. Any ideas? The GPU has ran fine since the spilling, but I'm selling this RIG soon and worry it might cause complications with the selling process.

Picture of GPU with the substance on it

Help!

Solution
My thought is to pull the GPU and go outdoors and try dabbing on some alcohol on the GPU labels.

Use cotton swabs.

Determine if the alcohol does indeed liquify and allow the sticky substance to be gently blotted up.

No scrubbing. Then if successful move on to other areas. Again no scrubbing. Wet down an area, let soak and blot up. Repeat as necessary.

Clean methodically and carefully. Allow plenty of time for the GPU card to dry before reinstalling.

And of course - no smoking or any kind of combustion anywhere around.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is to pull the GPU and go outdoors and try dabbing on some alcohol on the GPU labels.

Use cotton swabs.

Determine if the alcohol does indeed liquify and allow the sticky substance to be gently blotted up.

No scrubbing. Then if successful move on to other areas. Again no scrubbing. Wet down an area, let soak and blot up. Repeat as necessary.

Clean methodically and carefully. Allow plenty of time for the GPU card to dry before reinstalling.

And of course - no smoking or any kind of combustion anywhere around.

Solution