how to clean thermal paste

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hi guys! I am new doing this and I have some questions. I heard I need isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the old thermal paste but don't have it so can I use anything else like acetone or medicinal alcohol(the blue one I don't know if that's it name)? Thanks for help!

Edit: one more question.. how is better to put thermal paste? One dot and spread or let the fan spread it or is a better way?

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Isopropyl alcohol isn't expensive and you should be able to get some at your local CVS/Walgreens/Rite-Aid or usually where ever you shop.

You could clean with a cloth still but it would be harder. Acetone should work but just becareful using it since I'm not sure how safe it is compared to isopropyl alcohol. (Acetone is pretty powerful stuff)

For applying thermal paste, it is best to either do the pea method or the line method. Either will be fine, just make sure when you put the heatsink on, to press it firmly down enough so the thermal paste spreads.

aquaprofile

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

youre supposed to use something that is not conductive or dries suuuper fast ( isopropyl alcohol )

Someone said that Nail polish remover works but to be super careful.

I generally wipe the CPU die off with a cloth or tissue, then dip a Q-tip in the alcohol and finish cleaning up the Cpu die. Try and use something to wipe it off that is low lint, and also, the blue medicinal alcohol should be the same stuff.

I've always used the spread method, using the smallest amount of paste as I can. As others have said though, the Pea method works and is popular.

TechTiffany

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Use the highest percent alcohol you can get. I paid less than $3 at target for a HUGE bottle of 91%. Make sure there is NO residue from whatever cloth you use left and make sure it's completely dry before applying thermal paste. (alcohol dries very quickly, but I still wait a few minutes before applying the thermal paste).

TRENDING THREADS